Sign in to follow this  
Northern Oak

X-Can V2

Whatever Ablaze.

Question: You're actually saying that the X-Cans makes your Sony's brighter sounding than your former META 42? When both were new that is.

Anyway, let the amp run in for 2-weeks (most of the time if there are any problems it would show up - this is for any amp not just the X-Cans ya).

If you do change the tubes you need to ask for a matched pair (both triodes in each tubes should be matched as well).

Are you using the standard wall-wart or are you using you own PS?

tuberolling will be quite a long time in the future.

I'm using my unregulated power supply, the one I used for the meta42. its switchable to AC. using the multimeter to check, its pumping out 11.4v, which should be ok, since there's regulation within the X-can itself. Not using the stock one, cos its giving me this light buzz. both the new, and previous X-can I have. strange.

Hmm, this buzz thing you're getting may be unrelated to the amp. Have you done a polarity check on your other equipment? You would need to disconnect all interconnects. Then check source, amp. Also, if you're using a distributor use one without any lights and without individual switches. Also you might want to get some belden power cords with the drain wire attached to ground on the plug end.

Oh yes Northern Oak,

If you're keen on the AKG 501 Asia Sound is the Distributor (4th floor Adelphi). You should also get the Cans first before the amp (should be okay as the AKG has a higher impedence).

It's quite a nice sounding can for the price - a bit on the dry side. Since you're now thinking about tube amps, if you can afford it go for the EarMax pro. There's a UK internet dealer that's not too bad as their shipping was a lot cheaper than the German dealer.

Ablaze, if you still have the names and webaddress please add in.

Why the EarMax Pro with AKG? Well it's a little warmer and the AKG 501 is a little dry so the match would be ideal IMHO. Of course your source would matter as well. (Marantz - warm, Rotel - dry but detailed, Primare - lush, Copland -Airy etc. BTW I don't sell CD players nor EarMax nor AKG so do take this with less salt.

EMP:

the one that had it listed cheaper was

https://ssl.kundenserver.de/s25708283.shopl...view.shopscript

after adding up:(from their email)

The EARMAX PRO 230V: EUR 448,28 without VAT

The shipping costs to Singapore airport by our haulage contractor: EUR 87,40 (Lufthansa or Singapore Airlines)

The export costs: EUR 29,70

The total amount: 565,38EU

this place has it cheaper I think.

http://www.nutwoodmusic.com/acatalog/Nutwo...max_130.html380

£351.95 ~510EU

either ways, one of these can buy you two X-cans

What I like about it is the external build of the thing. the thing weighs quite a lot. I'd say heavier than a HA-1 from memory. not including the psu. and the brushed aluminium front cover, and the painted-rest of it..and the distinctive cylindrical shape..its all very VERY nice yes.gif

haven't opened it up yet, but people who have found pretty "cheap" parts inside..as Rameish will happily agree to dry.gif hehe

Ablaze & Northern Oak,

Ask for shipping via German Post - registered - it should cost about ?35 at most. Tell them to go look at the german post website (under parcels) english version. 1 - 3 kg is ?35 (double check please).

Also, I have just read again what you posted and that little snide remark. What I said about part quality and build quality was to you in private. To mention it here with no reference is uncalled for. Anyway I have always sund praises for the Grado RA-1 (it uses a cheap alps but it's still an Alps pot)

IMPORTANT: Pls remember Northern Oak is a relative newbie. Even you, a relative old hand, when through several traumatic experiences in the last couple of months. Remember driving to my place with the broken down Gilmore in Jan after midnight? Remember trying to fix the crackel and the cutting in and out of one channel on the Proto 42? Remember the hum problem with the Maxed out Meta 42. (That's 3 DIY Amps) Remember the Ety 4 that you sold (and I asked you why are you selling it only to buy a Senn HD-600 with Cardas even though I told you to listen to the Senn HD-600 I have with me more throughly. Remember buying the ATH-W1000 and the Sony CD-3000 only to want to sell the ATs 2 days later (that's 4 cans)

All of the above and the buying and selling of the Sonica, M-Audio (or do you still have that), Sony SACD/DVD player was done in a span of TWO months.

Now you have this with the X-Cans and you still have issues with the PSU (buzzing). This is the second unit as well.

Please understand if Northern Oak was/is a diy kinda guy then okay he can fix this and that - but you did not mention all this until I brought it up. Look at the dates on your post in head-fi and here (even with the 12-hour time difference). You mentioned the problem there a couple of days earlier yet heartily recommend it here later b4 you got the 2nd unit. This is not right. I'm sorry to be brutally frank but you need to have a little more consideration for the financial resources of others - he's SAVING for the K-501. What does that tell you? S$450 is I'm sure his savings as well.

Okay, I'll now shut up. If I offended you with the above Ablaze, I am sorry but you need to put yourself in someone else's shoes - please - before giving advice. And give the whole picture as well. If need be fix the problem then sell the thing and give the whole picture.

Also I have heard from the audio-dealer/distributor grapevine that there were reliability issues with some early EarMax (non pro version). Later versions should be okay. They now provide a cheaper case but better quality parts. I prefer it that way YMMV.

This is difficult for me Ablaze. Torn beteen keeping my mouth shut because of friendship and openly giving sound advice because it's my reputation. I have never knocked a product because of cheap parts as long as they are reliable (Grado RA-1 for example).

The lesson: Never make a snide remark. I'll always give a friendly nip back. Enough said.

I'm still scratching my head and wondering why people don't call me to audition the Beyerdyamic headphones?

call.gif

Rameish,

Thanks for the advice. Think I've got to set my priorities first then. Will get the K501 first before I decide on the next move.

Rameish, I really donno why you had to go and dig all that up. In truth, I'm getting a lil sick of having to defend myself. Yes, I've been thru quite many sources and headphones and amps. BUT thru it all, each step of the way was fun, each time something new brought new hope of higher fidelity sound, and waiting for stuff to arrive, playing with new toys, its all been fun. so I ended up selling most of them, so what. at least I'm here now, and finally happy with what I have. Let me tell you, if I hadn't gone thru all of that, where I am now wouldn't be as sweet.

I never meant anything snide with that remark. I'm not even disagreeing with the fact that the X-cans have cheap parts inside. I wasn't sarcastic when I mentioned you saying that. As I said, I do NOT disagree. A lot of people, not just you, have mentioned the relative "cheapness" of the parts inside the X-cans. cheap pot, cheap resistors, unknown caps and what not..I'm NOT disagreeing. Northern Oak just asked for an opinion, and I'm giving my opinion that I'm overall happy with my X-cans. And I AM. overall build, overall sound, its good enough for me. so it uses cheap parts, but it works.

I've gone thru a lot of stuff, but I never professed to be anything more than a newbie either. as I posted in your long message about advice-giving, these are my opinions, they're not hard facts, and YMMV. this is true always, for everyone. I think Northern Oak is more than capable of deciding for himself.

I never made a big thing of the humming issue, because I'm not entirely convinced its the fault of the supplied adapter. I've got tons of equipment here under my table with all my comp parts and at least 10 devices plugged into the wall socket I'm using at the same time. and no fancy shielded power cords or anything either. I wouldn't be too surprised if plugging in another device thats sensitive to interference, like the X-can would cause problems. It doesn't bother me too much, cos changing the psu to a generic 12VAC adapter for me, which I'm using now (its not even regulated as you know) easily solved the problem. And I never intended to "conceal" this fact about the X-can as you've implied, I just didn't think it was a big issue.

a "friendly" pip? if you say so, Rameish. I'm getting tired of defending myself with you. signing out for a while.

Ablaze,

Hmm... a friendly pip - no - I said a friendly nip.

First you are the forum's administrator and chief whip/moderator. People do look up to you and listen when you give advice or suggestions. You are now the local version of Jude or Hirsh of Head-Fi.

If you're now telling me you enjoyed the journey with all those amps and headphones then I'll accept that - it was not my impression of your journey. My impression was one of frustration, annoyance, and finally resignation. If I was mistaken about that, then I do sincerely apologise. I do mean that. As, it is possible that now looking back, you enjoyed the journey.

Your comparison with the HA-1 in weight and more importantly leaving it open does/could suggest something to readers other than weight - don't you agree? (Important: Why the comparison BTW?). Then you went on to add that I will happily agree to the cheap parts of the X-Cans. Why happily??? Was I happliy agreeing about the parts quality of the Grado RA-1? No. I talked about its sound - which is very good for it's price esp when used with Grado or low impedence cans.

I do not sell my amps by talking about the Alps Blue Velvet volume pot, nor the Telema transformer, nor about the double sided 70um thick circuit board, nor about the silver-plated C&K switches, nor about the laser engraving (not paint mind you) that is found on the front and back aluminum face and back plates, the case is also a one piece aluminum affair etc found in Corda amps. Plus, I will now add it's all hand-built using silver-solder. To cap it all they also come with a 2-year warrenty from Meier Audio direct (this I do let people know).

I do sell my amps by letting people listen to them in a comfortable futon, with air-con, and do explain crossfeed and pick out music that demonstrate the crossfeed clearly as it is not easily noticeable on some (usually newer) recordings. Then I leave them alone with their own CDs.

The tacit implication (comparison of weight) and suggestion (that I'll happily aggree to the cheap parts of the X-Cans) reflects on my product and reputation respectively.

I am very sadden by this affair, but this is something I can't leave unattended to as it's a business venture (albeit part-time and as you know there's very little profit in it - at least I've told you so from day one).

At the end of the day it's the sound (read music) that matters. Whether that's the Corda HA-1, Grado RA-1 or X-Cans V2. However, people also need to know about reliability. And coming from you, our own local adminstrator of Headphone Fanatics Singapore it really would have helped.

Rameish, typo. nip.

first off, yes this is my site. but its definitely no head-fi. we don't even have a 100 members, head-fi goes by the thousands. we don't even have a proper domain name for goodness sake. and most importantly, I'm no "Jude". no way. As mentioned, I don't profess to be anything but a newbie. I don't profess to know any more than any of our newer members. so please, for any of you reading this, don't take my words any more seriously than the next guy's. ..let me change my custom status ..

secondly, I only mentioned the weight of the HA-1 for easy comparisons with something we're familiar with. perhaps I should've just taken the damn thing and weight it? I wasn't implying anything about build quality or sound quality being any better than even your porta corda, at least not intentionally. You read too much into it. Why would I say in your face that I liked the Cordas and then to turn around and slime them here. Sorry, I'm not that kind of person.

I think you need to forget that you're an amp dealer for a while. Remember what you keep saying about being a headphone fanatic first. thats what we're here for man. I've never said one bad thing about your services or your amps. In fact I've done nothing but praise them and you, and have directed people to you when I could. Your ad was even a sticky for a while. I think you're getting too oversensitive and defensive of your products here, and I don't think its necessary. The Cordas are excellent amps at reasonable prices. period.