Sign in to follow this  
foxylady

Experience with headphiled grados

Hi guys,

Been staring at the photos of the woodied grados on headphile recently, just wondering whether any local guys have sent their grado cans to get woodied? Seems like a very expensive mod especially since it seems like its the cable which makes the most change, not the wooden enclosures.

Actually the wood surrounds will change the character of the sound somewhat as the distance between the driver and the ear is changed, plus he uses the wood as a sounding board, similar to a piano. In pianos, the different type of sounding board will affect the tone of the instrument.

Looks good, but you would have to buy based on reviews I think.

I think not many local guys have Headphile's stuff. Maybe you like to try his C pads for starters?

I think the wood not only changes the sound, his woodied chambers are bigger as well. So i think the soundstage will improve.

For sound impressions and wood choices, i guess contacting Larry is your best bet.

I was thinking of sending my GS-1000's over and get them headphiled by Larry. That Y splitter from Grado really really looks and feels cheap....

I was thinking of sending my GS-1000's over and get them headphiled by Larry. That Y splitter from Grado really really looks and feels cheap....

The splitter alone is an additional 25 usd. I calculated, choosing the cheapest wood, 2m cable, deep enclosures, matching wooden tips, splitter and plug wld shoot the bill up to 375 usd excluding the price of shipping. Which added to the cost of the SR225s I have, will almost allow me to buy 2nd hand Rs-1 already...

The splitter alone is an additional 25 usd. I calculated, choosing the cheapest wood, 2m cable, deep enclosures, matching wooden tips, splitter and plug wld shoot the bill up to 375 usd excluding the price of shipping. Which added to the cost of the SR225s I have, will almost allow me to buy 2nd hand Rs-1 already...

All i need is a splitter, some new cables and wooden plug tips. That's all. Maybe I'll change those black boxes saying left and right because they are ugly...

jus to side-track a bit...razer u are my idol....hardcore headphones collector....how i wish i own half of your sig. rolleyes.gif

It doesn't exhibit the piercing highs like most of the grado's in the line does. Bass is punchy and quantity is there but quality wise, it can't compare to that of cans like the HD650 or K701. I think for the HF-1, it sounds pretty close to my ES-7's. Maybe its like an open pair of ES-7s? Punchy bass with quantity, slightly smoother mids and they perform pretty well in the highs region. IMO, it sounds pretty alright but just not refined.