Sign in to follow this  
Guest davidcsk2112

Recommend a headphone to pair with iPod

Guest davidcsk2112

I'm thinking of getting a reasonably-priced pair of cans for home use, to play music from my iPod (320kbps/AAC encoded).

I listen to quite a bit of classical, (instrumental) jazz and treble, so a headphone specially suited to this genre would be preferred, though all-rounder headphones are ok too.

I've a budget of about $400 - $500... Was considering the AKG K501 ($250) but not sure about the high impedance thing requiring an extra amplifier. All recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

The 501 is an excellent choice, only thing is you will need a separate amp to drive it.

You can consider either AT or Grado cans alternatively. Best to have an audition to see if you like the sonic signature before committing.

Since this is for the home, then get a decent amp to drive the K501s.

I think if you are not getting a headamp, then you will need phones which are easy to drive. I know the Grados lower end series are quite easy to drive although I am not sure if they are to your taste. Jazz will be ok but classical?

Give it a try, nothing to loose, drop by Music By Design in Adelphi with your iPod, I am sure they will be most helpful.

HD595. headphone.gif Get the 50 ohm version. 120 ohm is the older version but might still be avaliable. So be a little careful if buying a 595. Its quite an all rounder can but lack the impact of Grado.

Grado/Alessandro are good choices too but i don't know if they can cut it for you with classical music. Some think they're good, some not.

So you gotta listen to them first.

Hmm... no Beyer fans? biggrin.gif

Unless you can source the low impedence models here, otherwise, they require amps.

Hmm... no Beyer fans? biggrin.gif

I have 3 Beyers phones. Two are just cheap buds and they will work fine with iPod but I don't think you will like the sound. The DT880 I have will sound real bad with your iPod without an amp.

It's not that we don't like Beyer but your specs precluded them. happy.gif

I think most have forgotten Beyer DT440/660/860 series which sport an impedance of only 32 ohms. Both DT440/860 are open design whereas 660 is closed. DT660/860 are still available at Anything Audio for audition but DT440 is out of stock. These cans are easily driven direct from portables. DT860 will suit your preference and budget.

For your reference:

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?show...c=2147&hl=dt660

Edited by Mackie

I think most have forgotten Beyer DT440/660/860 series which sport an impedance of only 32 ohms.  Both DT440/860 are open desigh whereas 660 is closed.  DT660/860 are still available at Anything Audio for audition but DT440 is out of stock.  These cans are easily driven direct from portables.  DT860 will suit your preference and budget.

For your reference:

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?show...c=2147&hl=dt660

When it comes to Beyer, nothing beats our Beyer supremo! :bow down and show respect:

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Of course, I have never even heard of those Beyer models! blush.gif

a high end phone (300-1000 bucks) is much worse than a normal phone (60-100) on a simple audio source without amp.

in fact, now you have few options currently:

since the chance for you to find 320kbps/AAC mp3 files is even rear than the chance you can find the Flac, Ape CD lossless format in the internet. so you may also consider to change the iPod to a CD player, if you need a good source. burn CD with those gold disk by TDK or mitsubishi at a low speed 1x, 2x, 4x will always provide you the best protable audio source.

then if really want the portable, light weight (without AMP), and direct PC to ipod data transfer. I do warn you, the 400-500 bucks headphone will provide you 40-50 bucks audio quality on your portable device. do not waste money.

audio technica ATH-EM5 ATH-EM7 which is available in the SG market worth every cents for portable mp3 player. ATH-EM5 is more value for money since it is going to fade out the market.