Sign in to follow this  
Kube

0404 dying...

I don't know whether the card is suited for gaming or not, but when I play Oblivion, the card randomly leaves out game music and sounds frequently, meaning I have to switch back to on-board audio. Unfortunately, i can hear the reduced sound quality.

Plus, I hear crackling in the background when listening to music. Sigh...I think it's dying, and it's roughly about 1 to 2 years old. Any solutions? Or perhaps it's time for a replacement?

sad2.gif Don't know much about the audio card scene, have only tried Creative cards so far.

If you can, try taking out the card and installing it onto another computer to see if the problem persists.

Next, if it still persists, try cleaning the gold contacts.

Updating the drivers might help too.

These are all the solutions I can remember off my head right now. Is it possible to send it back? I'm guessing it's no longer under warranty?

Not under warranty anymore sad2.gif. Hmm...the problem with the crackling seems intermittent. I reinstalled drivers and cleaned gold contacts.

How about m-audio cards, those any good?

never heard m-audio cards before... but dont think it'll compare to creative's... i'm using their X-Fi extreme music... u should try out the CMSS-3D in the gaming mode with headphones... When you hear the "rear right" for the first time, you'll turn your head and thought its real... Those who are using one now will know what i mean... strongly suggest that you get this card... in terms of support, they can do RMA in their Marina Sq store... very connvenient...

Creative's soundcards get very mixed reviews. If you notice in the audiophile world, alot of people like using the 0404... Although frankly, I don't know why. Kube fill me in on that? laugh.gif

Heh, I went to the demo of the x-fi techs, and I know how it sounds (for gaming, that is). But compared to the 0404, it sounds...shallow? The 0404 sounds more...natural... Anyways, I don't do much intensive gaming, so I just need a card that makes things on my pc sound good.

As for aegisofrime, eh, everyone's using it...so I guess I gave it a try, and so far till now, does quite ok.

If you like natural sound, you may like to try out 1212m. You will be surprise for the different sound signature between 0404 and 1212m.

Warning: You may not like 1212m though you love 0404 sound.

I don't know whether the card is suited for gaming or not, but when I play Oblivion, the card randomly leaves out game music and sounds frequently, meaning I have to switch back to on-board audio. Unfortunately, i can hear the reduced sound quality.

Plus, I hear crackling in the background when listening to music. Sigh...I think it's dying, and it's roughly about 1 to 2 years old. Any solutions? Or perhaps it's time for a replacement?

sad2.gif Don't know much about the audio card scene, have only tried Creative cards so far.

Hmmmm i don't recall the EMU0404s die that early.

Where is your card located? Try moving it to another PCI slot (upper ones).