yongchris

Sony MDR-ex90SL

From head-fi impressions, its got good sound, but poor isolation.

Bangraman from Head-fi himself did mention to me that the open-back Qualia 010 has better isolation that the Sony MDR-EX90.

I am guessing that it has something to do with the EX90's 'semi-open' design (look at its 'normal earbud' area, its got what I suppose are 3 bass intake areas).

FYI, this is the Sony Qualia 010... Beautiful headphones and from what I have managed to gather, perhaps my wet dream headphone :DD

IPB Image

^

No complaints about it from the people who own it yet, so currently, the answer should be 'no'. :)

Yes agreed.SQ is very good & poor isolation.

From head-fi impressions, its got good sound, but poor isolation.

You need to get it online or get from Hong Kong at HK $680.

any sightnings of the ex90 locally yet?

Stereo Electronics not bringing in....

Just got my EX90SL today.

Colleague helped me get it from Tokyo @ Yodobashi.

Cost 9980Yen which is approx $137.

First take (in comparing with my UM!) is that its harder to drive.

THe soundstage is kinda disappointing (considering the big hoohaa about its 13.5mm drivers)!

But the highs are sharp and clear.

Bass is kinda muffled but not overpowering.

Not too sure if it needs any running in...

Anyone can advise how to distinguish if it might require running-in?

I was told by SE that my UM1 does not need any running-in.

How does one distinguish? I don't think the manufacturer actually indicates this info right?

First take (in comparing with my UM!) is that its harder to drive.

THe soundstage is kinda disappointing (considering the big hoohaa about its 13.5mm drivers)!

But the highs are sharp and clear.

Bass is kinda muffled but not overpowering.

Not too sure if it needs any running in...

Anyone can advise how to distinguish if it might require running-in?

The soundstage will open up, bass and mids will tighten after several hours of play/run-in. In most cases, a unburned-in can will sound sharp and muffled.

Of course, never stop running/play in your cans.

do the cable suffer the same poor quality one as ex70? tt will really be an issue, isn't it... cost so much yet quality buangz...

After owning several pairs of EX70 and 71, I doubt Sony will ever improve its build quality. Been using Shures the past 2 years and the cable quality is superb. I don't mind paying slightly more for better build quality which I feel is a good investment.

After owning several pairs of EX70 and 71, I doubt Sony will ever improve its build quality. Been using Shures the past 2 years and the cable quality is superb. I don't mind paying slightly more for better build quality which I feel is a good investment.

have a pair of EX71 too, and i'm paranoid about it being ripped apart every day. unfortunately can't afford any of the better phones yet so must take care of the ones i have.

After about 30Hrs of burning-in..... the soundstage opened up and the bass got tighter.

Basically, the whole thing sounds totally different now... :rclxms:

AHHH!!! I wanna try this, i've been waiting for this! I wanna compare to the Um-1's. I still miss the sony's overwhelming bass. LOL.

The EX90 bass is different from other Sony IEMs like the 71s.

After running-in for about 40Hrs.

The bass is not too strong and muffled. It actually tightened up.

Off the rack the EX90 highs were very strong and jarring...but again after running-in, it mellowed down and complemented with the bass very well.

I now have this EX90 and the UM1 and I feel the UM1 is still tad better than the EX90.

But u have to know that the EX90 is sorta a semi-IEM. It doesn't close out as much ambient sound as the UM1 does.