Sign in to follow this  
Northern Oak

Isolation Boards

Value-for-money wise, check out the Queenie racks at Stereo Electronics (Causeway Point). Looks good too.

is it necessary for me to buy rack if I just have 1 cdp ?

maybe I will just get the isolation board and place it on my study table. Hope that I don't shake too much in excitement otherwise defeats the purpose entirely sleep.gif

is there a big difference in sound quality if a isolation board is used?

just curious wink.gif

Guy, no need to get a rack since U have ample shelf space to accomodate your gears.

Sipher, isolation boards and such will help to improve sound but improvement is subtle.

hi mackie,

yeah actually that shelf is for my cousin(comin in 2 weeks time)

so I have to move to another end of the room.

But I guess I can put them on the desk. Just that I need to get the cone in order to isolate them abit laugh.gif

I suggest U refrain from venturing into cones at the moment. Try the cheap merbau board that Oak and I have ordered independent of each other.

*ramblings from an old boy*

Different materials have different resonance and dampening frequencies... I believe metals have high frequency resonance and woods, upper and mid bass.

Imagine attaching an accelerometer (device to measure vibration) to isolation boards and do a frequency sweep from speakers aiming at board. Different materials would have varying frequency response.

The result sound u get is combining the response of the room (minor vibrations from neighbours, electrical appliances and traffic and minute reosnance of the room itself) coupled with the isolation device AND the setup's own output...

The key is to mix and match, try all sorts of materials till u find one that makes music more enjoyable... that is, coloured towards your taste smile.gif What is on sale is probably the final product after some experimentation and realizing a particular material 'works'.

Like any hifi equipment, your taste has to be the same as the manufacturer in order for you to like the product.