Sign in to follow this  
ralli`fto

Finally got my custom earmolds (Small review)

Got the earmolds from Jaben on the 14th of June 2006. This package was passed to me by the kind Uncle Wilson:

IPB Image

Upon opening the package this was what was inside:

IPB Image

IPB Image

And of course the custom earmolds:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Shots of the earmolds attached to my UM1.

IPB Image

Shots of me wearing the customs:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Now for a mini review:

Putting it on was very difficult compared to putting on my UM1 with biflanges. Had to twist and turn it before it went in. Then i remembered i had some Oto Ease which came with my pelican case and i pulled the Earmolds out, applied the Oto Ease and attempted to put on the UM1s again and it really went into my ears with ease. It simply just slid in. (Please do try to get the Oto Ease if you get the custom earmolds. It really does help alot!)

The 1st thing i noticed when i had the Earmolds on was that it made the UM1s lose the low profile. The UM1 was now sitting outside the ears. However as Uncle Wilson said, if you have it, flaunt it. :ppth:

The next thing i noticed was, well.... i didn't notice anything! Couldn't feel the earmolds in my ears at all although they were sitting very deep in. When i played my iPod, it just felt like music was flowing into my ears from nowhere. They were just so comfortable that even after listening to them for 2 hours straight i still could not feel them in my ears.

The isolation with the custom earmolds were much better than the biflanges. Could not hear anything at all on very low volumes whereas with the biflanges i'll require a slightly higher volume to drown out the environment noise. I rode in the MRT in the tunnel with the earmolds without turning on my iPod and all i could hear were people "whispering" with no wind noise at all. The MRT annoucements sounded like someone was speaking to you very nicely in a pleasant volume.

Now comes the review on the SQ. Well i'm not a real audiophile but after using the custom earmolds with the UM1s, i noticed that the bass has been tightened up compared to the UM1s with biflanges. Bass was also more profound. There was slightly more detail too. With the use of the custom earmolds, i enjoyed my music more with the improvements made to my music and it was painless too. Overall very satisfied and glad to have made the decision to get the custom earmolds done.

Hope this mini review will help you make your decision. :rolleyes:

Edited by ralli`fto

How do you like the otoease? Power ah.....I like the feeling of it. :DD Esp i used it on my ER4 and insert it deep deep....oooo :smoke:

Nice impressions but can you ask Westone to alter it so the UM1 will sit in your ears? Worth a try!

Can that be done?? Maybe i'll ask Uncle Wilson to see if Westone can do it. But i can't really bear to send the earmolds away for it to be fixed and go back to the biflanges leh.... OtoEase is really good. Hahaha. Effortless and painless insertion of the earmolds into my ear canals

Edited by ralli`fto

Wah ... How much you spent on you Customs ? I'm thinking of getting one after reviving my iPod and UM2 ...

Oh ya , can take a pic and show the fit of it on your ears ? a pic showing your ear and infront of your ear , wearing the "hearing aid"

Edited by evian_vortex

heh heh the otoease is one of the best kept secrets of the IEM industry... :blush: Just curious, why you din go for colours?

They work on normal flanges too. Does Stereo Elec/Jaben sell them?

Just posted the pics of me wearing the customs.

Nah.... Didn't go for colours or glitters as Uncle Wilson would have liked cause i prefer to let the customs look like its part of the UM1s. Kinda conservative also la. Dun like the customs to be too loud.

Jaben do sell the Oto Ease. I told Uncle Wilson to recommend people who were getting the customs to also get the Oto Ease and he said they do have them in the store. Maybe you might wanna ask him to confirm.

Just posted the pics of me wearing the customs.

Nah.... Didn't go for colours or glitters as Uncle Wilson would have liked cause i prefer to let the customs look like its part of the UM1s. Kinda conservative also la. Dun like the customs to be too loud.

Jaben do sell the Oto Ease. I told Uncle Wilson to recommend people who were getting the customs to also get the Oto Ease and he said they do have them in the store. Maybe you might wanna ask him to confirm.

lol you answered mw here. Will check out with him when my otoease finish.

Paid the promo price of $199 cause it was a batch of us ordering so kinda saved on the shipping charges. You'll have to check with Uncle Wilson on the cost of a pair of the customs now.

Well... i tried the ER6i i didn't like it at all... Think mayb cause i'm kinda of a basshead and the ER6i was realli lacking in the bass department but i must admit they are detailed. I had abit of problem with the biflanges as they kinda hurt when i try to insert them deeper to get better isolation so decided to get the customs and boy am i glad i got them. Painfree enjoyment of wonderful music.

Well... i tried the ER6i i didn't like it at all... Think mayb cause i'm kinda of a basshead and the ER6i was realli lacking in the bass department but i must admit they are detailed. I had abit of problem with the biflanges as they kinda hurt when i try to insert them deeper to get better isolation so decided to get the customs and boy am i glad i got them. Painfree enjoyment of wonderful music.

LOL ... i saw the bottle of OTO-EASE ... and it says ear lubricant ... and soon , all my friends started thinking dirty ... :lol: ... LOL ... really want to get the UM1 fast and then save up for the UM2 and 5G ipod that i have missed for so long ... You made me jealous ... :ppth: