Sign in to follow this  
cmk

Headphones & speakers

Headphones & speakers  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Put up this poll to see how many members use one or both transducers.

Next question would be which do you use more often? Why? Reply to this thread wtih your opinions.

I actually prefer speakers to headphones. I'm a big soundstage person and speakers are definely better for that. Listening to music for me is not just about the sense of hearing, it's also the sense of touch. I like to feel the sound ( vibs ) on my body, not just the ears.

When I'm free to listen to music and its after 9pm, headphones

When I'm free to listen to music any time before 9pm, speakers.

If I'm working on something or reading and want music, speakers for background music at half of my listening volume, so can play even at midnight. I cannot seem to be able to multitask while wearing headphones.

Edited by av98m

i've both, but no longer listen to headphones at all. even past 2am etc i would just turn on the aircon, close the windows so as not to disturb my neighbours and listen to speakers :D

*edit as to why.. maybe my ears are sensitive, but they get uncomfortable after half an hr of headphone listening, beyer/grado alike, not even at high levels at all. more over speakers provide a much better three dimensional soundstage, instead of the headphone sort of bass, you get the depth and intensity and at that distance its a very different experience.

on speakers i can drive them to pretty high volumes without the sound pressure being too high adding to a tad of realism, headphones.. a little too high becomes uncomfortable

Edited by neutralzz

I naturally listen to earphones almost all the time when I listen to music, since I always have my mp3 players with me regardless of the occasion. But I use my speakers when I jus want to listen to something in high definition (7.1 speaker set, x-fi elite).

If im studying for something or doing something else and I don't want to have my computer on (because of the CPU fan, i don't have any other fans cuz of liquid cooling), then I just use portable speakers.

headphones when surfing the net /late nite (DT880/Creek 4140S2/pc/iriver)

speakers when feel like some serious listening/watching HT (proac/ML/Nak/SF)

on speakers i can drive them to pretty high volumes without the sound pressure being too high adding to a tad of realism, headphones.. a little too high becomes uncomfortable

x 2. I find that with speakers I can listen comfortably at much higher volumes and the overall presentation can be vastly superior to a headphone setup. I cannot listen to headphones at loud volumes.

x 2. I find that with speakers I can listen comfortably at much higher volumes and the overall presentation can be vastly superior to a headphone setup. I cannot listen to headphones at loud volumes.

Heard that you just got your HGP speakers. I listened to them briefly at Sky Audio. Very good stuff. I would recommend you pull them out into the room(TS recommended 52" from rear wall) with almost no toe-in. Listening position about 45deg angle with the speakers and have a listen.

Heard that you just got your HGP speakers. I listened to them briefly at Sky Audio. Very good stuff. I would recommend you pull them out into the room(TS recommended 52" from rear wall) with almost no toe-in. Listening position about 45deg angle with the speakers and have a listen.

Thanks for the input but I cannot pull them out any further than I already have. The listening position and speaker placement has already been optimised as far as it is humanly possible within the confines of my room. I guess we all hear things differently because I've had the whole range of comments from different people on how my setup sounds, from "very good imaging, transparent, musical" to "lifeless, no bass, got synergy problem" :))

P.S. I have no space for speaker stands even. You can say that my speaker setup was quite literally shoehorned into my room :lol:

Edited by av98m

Yes. :)) I placed the speakers..*drum roll* on my table top.

*Waits for cmk to develop apoplexy*

Edited by av98m

Yes. :)) I placed the speakers..*drum roll* on my table top.

*Waits for cmk to develop apoplexy*

:terrified: