ablaze

this is new to me

Rameish,

I've tried it with various impedance but to no avail. Maybe it doesn't go well with tube gears. ** shrug **

Mack,

It gets better at 120 ohm but I still prefer the DT-931 or DT-880 and a few other Beyers over it. Very lean but revealing sound. So I don't think it's got anything to do with toobs :-). Unless of course you tried it way back with your former X-Cans - that amp doesn't like low impedence cans for sure. There another version of the DT-48 that has higher impedence (can't remember what the impedence is exactly). However, peak fusion didn't have that version on hand back then so I didn't get to listen to that version.

Ram,

I just recalled it's the DT48E and of 200 ohms impedance. I auditioned it with the Cayin and it was brought over by my in-laws when they were in town. I returned the cans to them on their departure with much disappointment although I like's its pro looks. I must have faltered along the way if U didn't find it honky and totally bass shy. Maybe I should give this model a second chance.

Sorry for the OT albeit I know the topic is on Senn.

IMO it isn't worth the trouble as you already have the Beyer DT931, DT880, DT990 and god knows what else. I listened to it twice. Once when I was at the Peak Fusion office. This short visit led me to belive the DT-48 could sound like the HP-1 (I only had a portable discman and the Porta Corda then, so compared it with and without the 120 ohm adapter plug). However, when Albert(the sales manager of peak fusion) brought it over to my home and I had the opportunity to compare it with the HP-1 it was no contest. In direct comparisons with other Beyer cans like the DT-990 Pro and DT-831 DT-150 I would I liked the DT-150 the best. The DT-880 then came along and played third fiddle to the 2 Grados - HP-1 and RS-1. A switch in strategy led to picking up the DT-931 and Senn HD-600. I'm quite comfortable with this approach. Senn HD-600 for big band classical, DT-880 for the times when I need a littl more bass and bite, and DT-931 for everything else - unless things get too bright then it goes back to either the Senn HD-600 or DT-880.

Rethinking the strategy (or game plan), if all goes well with the Sony R-10s (hopefully tee will bring it in), then I may go back to the approach of "one can to rule them all". However I do have my doubts. My logic is this: I don't mind paying over 1 k to 5 k for one can - IF it can do all the things it's cracked out to be. Grado HP-1 and RS-1 combo came close. Let's look at the sums: DT-880 (S$450 or thereabouts), Senn HD-600 (S$450 approx), DT-931 (say approx S$350). So for the price of slightly more than the Grado RS-1, I have 3 nice cans to choose the flavour and not get upset when one doesn't perform up to expectations. I'm currently satisfied with this approach esp since my music taste nowadays is getting more of the olde fart type (I listen less to CCR, Led Zep etc).

It's sorta OT here but linked in that we are taking about legendary cans so DT-48 is just that right?