Sign in to follow this  
xkcwlx

Need Some Recommendations

Hi everyone. I just joined the forums and I can't believe I didn't find it earlier.

Anyway, I'm currently looking for a new pair of earphones for my iPod.

Previously owned 2 pairs of Sony N.U.D.E.X earphones and the rubber sheathing that was supposed to protect the wires were of really poor quality and gave in to wear and tear very easily. So both of them are now being chucked aside cos they look really horrible now.

Just to clarify my position, I've never tried the high end types like Shure and Ultimate Ears cos I'm still a student and those are waaaaay out of my price range. The Sony ones that I used were, to me, already expensive at about $60 a piece so I guess you can understand where I'm coming from haha. Really new territory for me here.

So anyway my budget is now about $150-200 and I was thinking of getting the Creative Zen Aurvanas.

Any opinions on this? Would I be better off with another earphone of around the same price?

P.S. What's the current price of the Zen Aurvanas? The Creative site quotes SG$235 but I think that's quite ridiculous considering the exchange rate from US$99.

Thanks!

Edited by xkcwlx

For $170 you should be able to get a Westone UM1, or ETY ER6i at $150 through mail order. Audio Technica CK7 is around $110 plus. Shure E2c should be around $168 - $170. It all depends on what you prefer your music to sound like. Best to try them out before making a choice.

If you do a search for the Aurvana on this forum, you'll quickly see that it has received somewhat mixed reviews... it seems that there are better 'phones your money can buy...

edit: but having not tried them, i realised that i'm just spouting other people's opinions... hmm... ok, how about this: Trust No One :) only your own ears can tell what is best for you :cans: yah, and try b4 buy!

Edited by kehyi

Hrmm... After ploughing through the boards again I've kind of lost interest in the Zen Aurvanas haha.

The Westone UM1s sound attractive. May I know where might be the best place to shop for these earphones? I've been seeing alot of Stereo Electronics at Causeway Point but its really far for me since I stay around Holland Road. I would go if I didn't have any other choice though...

You can audition the UM1s at Jaben which is at Adephi which is just across from Funan Centre. The shop is situated at the $th floor. Just go in and ask to try it. Uncle Wilson is quite friendly. Bring along your iPod as source.

You can audition the UM1s at Jaben which is at Adephi which is just across from Funan Centre. The shop is situated at the $th floor. Just go in and ask to try it. Uncle Wilson is quite friendly. Bring along your iPod as source.

4th floor lah, huai chiu hold the shift key~~~

chiu ish counting big bills from WC ijit?

:DD

or go to stereo for an "isolation" test (lol) as it's quite noisy over there, but the product range is wider~

anyway, regarding the aurvanas, i won't critise it as i'm no audiophile.

i've taken my own sweet time testing it on 3 diff. occasions and 2 diff. places...

I DUNCH RIKE IT. certains parts (vocals) sound great, maybe even better than my UM1, but some parts sounded downright horrible (horrible as in eewww)..

IMO, aurvana is NOT VALUE FOR $$. (but it's quite comfy though)

Hi there and welcome,

Go get the UM1, hear it to believe!! Try Jaben (4th floor Adelphi), nearer for you and u feel like

home too!! :)) Hehe

The Creative one is ex and IMHO not as good as UM1!! My 2 cents...

Hi everyone. I just joined the forums and I can't believe I didn't find it earlier.

Previously owned 2 pairs of Sony N.U.D.E.X earphones and the rubber sheathing that was supposed to protect the wires were of really poor quality and gave in to wear and tear very easily. So both of them are now being chucked aside cos they look really horrible now.

Just to clarify my position, I've never tried the high end types like Shure and Ultimate Ears cos I'm still a student and those are waaaaay out of my price range. The Sony ones that I used were, to me, already expensive at about $60 a piece so I guess you can understand where I'm coming from haha. Really new territory for me here.

So anyway my budget is now about $150-200 and I was thinking of getting the Creative Zen Aurvanas.

Any opinions on this? Would I be better off with another earphone of around the same price?

P.S. What's the current price of the Zen Aurvanas? The Creative site quotes SG$235 but I think that's quite ridiculous considering the exchange rate from US$99.

Thanks!

I am selling my E2C @ S$100 ( neg ) if u are interested.

Thanks!

i was in ur shoes abt a few yrs back.. haha... and i found it time to move on after afbug post at hwz... :bash: i came to get my IEM abt 3mths back so i kind of understand how u feel... $150-$200 is very hard sweat money so u would wan it to b well spend. but how to noe if it well spend? best way is to try dem out so u shld go jaben or stereo to audition it. stereo haf um1, sf3 for audition. jaben haf er6i, um1 for audition. go try dem out and be sure which kind of sound signature u lyk b4 buying so u'll enjoy it... :party:

Hi all,

Am in same position as threadstarter, looking to upgrade from my present cresyn LMX630. Would require some help from the audiophile old birds in here:

1. My player's a iriver H10. Would getting earbuds like the CK7/Shure e2c be an overkill? ie the buds can deliver better music than what my player can churn out?

2. Which shop (stereo or jaben) has all of the 4 models (shure e2c, CK7, ER6i, um1) so i can test them all out at 1 go?

3. Any bros kind enough to recommend which among the 4 to get? I like clarity with a little bass. My only complaint with current cresyn is that some music is a lil muffled. At times it gets a lil screechy too with the clarity. Sorry am no audiophile, so pardon my poor musical descriptions!

Thanks!

Edited by yas

Hi all,

Am in same position as threadstarter, looking to upgrade from my present cresyn LMX630. Would require some help from the audiophile old birds in here:

1. My player's a iriver H10. Would getting earbuds like the CK7/Shure e2c be an overkill? ie the buds can deliver better music than what my player can churn out?

2. Which shop (stereo or jaben) has all of the 4 models (shure e2c, CK7, ER6i, um1) so i can test them all out at 1 go?

3. Any bros kind enough to recommend which among the 4 to get? I like clarity with a little bass. My only complaint with current cresyn is that some music is a lil muffled. At times it gets a lil screechy too with the clarity. Sorry am no audiophile, so pardon my poor musical descriptions!

Thanks!

1) i'm oso using an h10. nope... in fact, even um2 can be drive perfectly out of h10... only IEM tt is hard to drive so far is AL im716

2) stereo have e2, ck7 and um1. jaben haf um1, er6i

3) for clarity, e2 is a no no... um1 strength lies in the mid, er6i is very detail and same for ck7 but ck7 mid is recess... my suggestion for u is to try dem out first... diff ear hear things diff

Just came back from stereo yesterday, they have for testing , shure e2c, ety er6i, AT ck7, panny hje70, westone um1/2, cresyn 630, creative 630, senn cx300, ue 5pro and...... hmm.... can't remember liao.... the list goes on i think.

-ohn' date='28 Jun 2006, 10:08 AM' post='67679']

Just came back from stereo yesterday, they have for testing , shure e2c, ety er6i, AT ck7, panny hje70, westone um1/2, cresyn 630, creative 630, senn cx300, ue 5pro and...... hmm.... can't remember liao.... the list goes on i think.

Just a question, do you think UE 5Pro can be fitted with custom earnolds or perhaps a 3rd party sleeve?

Anybody heard of any 3rd party cables for UE 5Pro so far?

Just came back from Jaben. Bought the UM1s! =)

While I was there I also tried out the Etymotics ER6i. Well, to put it simply, I just don't see how it can compare to the UM1s. The sound is like... very delicate. Okay I should stop treading on unfamiliar ground.

Anyway, thanks all for your advice. I'm really loving it!