Sign in to follow this  
Song of Songs

Grado SR-80

Hi Bros and Sis out there,

Before I head down to MBD for the SR-80, I would love to hear from you guys first.

1. SR60 vs 80, is the xtra $$ justify?

2. At the price of around the SR-80 or lower, are there anyhting from Senn, Beyer, AT or any others offer equal or better performance?

Application - Direct from CDP.

Music Genre - Light to heavy.

Thanks boys and girls.

hey...go take a listen of the Alessandros over at Jaben. I feel the MS1 is more outstanding than these 2 cans. The price of it is approx. near the price of a SR80. Furthermore, Wilson is a great guy to talk to. I was in your position about a month ago and i bought the MS1!

Guest joi-ful

I think SR60 and SR80 sound just a bit different, so I wouldn't say one is more superior over the other. I think u should try out to see what you like.

At around the price of SR80, you can get AT A500 (which received great reviews at head-fi) while I personally recommend the Goldring DR150, which can be found at Stereo Electronics. Not to say they're better but they also offer great SQ at the price range. It all boils down to preference.

Thanks Joiful,

I'd just finished reading the thread SR-60. More info now but also more dilemma. Frankly I'm new to headphones and I'll go through as much as I can in SGH to get more info but would appreciate if you can leave me with more info about the A500 and DR150 like their prices and sound characters. Thanks again.

Guest joi-ful

The Goldring costs $190 while the AT A500 costs $139 at Stereo Electronics.

You can get more info at the Goldring thread, I think Zepheron has gotten them and he's posted his impression there as well.

I didn't try the A500 at SE because I think getting the Goldring is a better deal. Just IMHO. For more info, you can do a search at Head-fi.

ah... joiful ah, i think u mean the Audio-Technica AD500... it's the open-back one, right? the A500 is the closed back model and should costs around $170-180.

Yes, go for the MS1. Much better than the SR80 to my ears. :cans: More balanced; treble is less harsh and more impactful bass. But for me, I've to use the 414s on them. Normal comflies dun work for me. If got the budget, jsut go straight for the MS1.

For Senns, try the HD485. More comfortable but not as upfront/aggressive as a MS1.

And pls post in one forum only! If you're not using them for portable applications, eg outdoors, this forum will be fine.

Edited by afbug

Guest joi-ful

I meant the A500, the closed one. Oh ya, I forgot to mention that the A500 are closed. Since Head-fi hasn't got much comments on the AD500, I also wouldn't dare to anyhow intro ppl. But it's said to be similar to the A500 except for the wider soundstage but less detail.

Bluetin listed A500 at $179 while Stereo is selling at $139. The AD500 is listed at $129 at Stereo. A rather good deal I must say...

Edited by joi-ful

oo... that's cheap... too bad it aint portable...

Topic with the same title from the Home Equipment Forum has been merged into this thread.

Song of Songs, please do not post duplicate threads.

Thanks Joiful,

I'd just finished reading the thread SR-60. More info now but also more dilemma. Frankly I'm new to headphones and I'll go through as much as I can in SGH to get more info but would appreciate if you can leave me with more info about the A500 and DR150 like their prices and sound characters. Thanks again.

You can read all the reviews till the cows come home and it will never give you any idea what the cans really sound like. The only way to choose if to bring along music that you are familiar with and audtion the cans that you are considering. It all boils down to what your ears like, but if you have tested out enough cans, from my own personal point of view, it all depends on what kind of sound you are in the mood for.

I can't find my first posting and I thought that it wasn't successful so I post again.

Anyway, seems like I have more choices now, MS-1(a Grado?), Goldring DR-150 and Senn HD-485 are pretty strong options but I got to find out first how much are the MS-1 and HD-485. BTW I'm looking for a headphone not earphone incase I didn't elaberate earlier. Thanks guys.

I can't find my first posting and I thought that it wasn't successful so I post again.

Anyway, seems like I have more choices now, MS-1(a Grado?), Goldring DR-150 and Senn HD-485 are pretty strong options but I got to find out first how much are the MS-1 and HD-485. BTW I'm looking for a headphone not earphone incase I didn't elaberate earlier. Thanks guys.

Normal price for MS1 is $170 and $159 for HD485. If you're lucky, might have discounts. For HD485, Stereo migh have, so you try them there. SR80 is at MBD and MS1 at Jaben.

Yes, MS1 is an Alessandro which is made by Grado.

This is how it looks with a 414 pad.

IPB Image

headphone for what? home use or outdoor? ms1s ms1 = alessandro! (by grado)...