Sign in to follow this  
iynaix

Question about custom earmolds?

Im new to this forum and this also happens to be my first post... so pls be gentle :D

Im rather new to higher end IEMs... i started using EX71s a year ago and I decided to go with higher end IEMs because you guessed it... the wire started peeling and the bass was too flabby for my liking. After trying a whole bunch of IEMs.. i bought a UM2.

Pretty impressed with the UM2... it delivers good tight bass and the sound is pretty balanced, although it does have some problems with treble at times. A major irritance I face is that i find it difficult to get a good seal and i was wondering if anyone with custom earmolds would like to tell me his/her experiences with them. Also purchasing complys might just drive me insane <_<

Are the customs a lot more difficult to insert, searching the web has found me comments that they are very hard to insert, while others say they are easier than complys.

When inserting customs, is otoease necessary or is it only something you have to do in the initial stage or if you have dry ears?

How long do they last and are they comfortable?

Is the seal of the customs really better?

Lastly, how different does is the sound when using customs?

Thank you for answering my questions! Its hard to satisfy the thirst for the right sound... and ns doesnt make it better -_______________-"

Edited by iynaix

Customs are usually considered as "permanant" products for the IEM, given that they cost quite a lot. Really depends on your own ear whether you will find insertion easy or otherwise.

Otoease can be used on all ears, increasing the ease at which you insert the earmold, but you could always choose not to use it. Your personal choice, in other words.

Can't comment on the sound. I don't own customs. :P

They are made of silicone, and according to Wilson of Jaben, they should last you for at least 7 years....depending on how you take care of them, of course.

Supposedly, if you have a proper mould done, the fit and isolation should be superior to any tips (comply, foam, tri/bi flange) you use on your UM2. That is important, because IEM's depend on a proper fit to sound their best.

Hi,

I'm using the UM2 with custom earmolds actually. Well... I did a short review on the customs in this forum so mayb u'll like to search for it? After using them for a month, they are now realli easy to insert it. They are in fact much much easier than the complys. Its only at the start when u can't get used to them then they're really difficult to put on. Hope my short review and this helps.

^I actually got interested after reading your review ^_^

More defined bass? Wow... im pretty impressed with how defined the bass is for the UM2s already, even with complys. What about soundstage?

Also, did u take an open or closed mouth impression? Aron recommended me an audiologist... so i guess i probably will go there next month... Curiousity is killing me and I just have to know how they sound like. :cans:

More defined bass? Wow... im pretty impressed with how defined the bass is for the UM2s already, even with complys. What about soundstage?

Also, did u take an open or closed mouth impression? Aron recommended me an audiologist... so i guess i probably will go there next month... Curiousity is killing me and I just have to know how they sound like. :cans:

UE website recommended an open mouth impression. Have something to bite so your jaws won't move.

UE website recommended an open mouth impression. Have something to bite so your jaws won't move.

As do Westone (on their website too).

Not that I do not trust Wilson or anything, but I would prefer a perfect fit the first time round. No offense, but Wilson isnt exactly like trained or anything... i just feel safer if u know what i mean if i get mine done by a professional audiologist. :yes:

i am going to order one set of earmold soon.but do i need to give Wilson my UM2 in order to get the earmold done?and how long does it take to make the earmold (including shipment time)?

You dun have to give him your UM2. Juz need to give him your impressions and he'll send it away for u. Mine took about 3-4 weeks to be done.

thanks wilson... really appreciate it.. could you PM me how much they would cost if i just give you the ear impressions ^_^

I believe the custom molds only (without the impressions) will cost you about 200 @ Jaben. If you take the impressions at Jaben it's an additional 50. BUT uncle wilson is always nice to friends. =) Just go down to the shop and check it out.

This is what i last heard when i had my molds done. Correct me if i'm wrong uncle wilson. =)