Sign in to follow this  
Guest davidcsk2112

Where to audition/buy new Marantz 5400 and other CDPs

Guest davidcsk2112

I'm thinking of getting a budget CDP for my home rig. I've read Shiro's thread on CDP recommendations, and I'm quite interested in the Marantz 5400, among others. Does anyone know where I can audition a new Marantz 5400? Thanks! I've heard good reviews of KEC in Adelphi, and I'm probably going to head down there one day.

P.S. I've come across someone who's willing to sell a used Marantz 63 SE for about $200. He claims that it's made in Japan and has new lens and remote. Is this a good deal? And, if so, how do I check to see if the CDP is in good working condition?

Edited by davidcsk2112

KEC in Aldephi should still carry it. From my past experience of buying speakers from them, they're friendly ppl. There should be a few other shops selling Marantz products in Adelphi (no experience with them though) - I remember buying mine from Sim Lim Square - can't remember the shop name but i think they were the distributors or something.

i recall the marantz 63se usually go for around $150 to around $200 on echoloft, depending on condition (new lenses, w or w/o remote control etc.)

can't help u on checking whether the lense is new or not - sorry man.

PS: as usual i have no relations to any audio dealer and receive no monetary or other rewards or incentives from them!!!

I would like to share with you what Mackie had shared with me... this is how to test the lens.. CHeers..

1. Load cd and press play. Take note of the time taken to scan the disc. Marantz is usually a tad slower but if it takes longer than 5 sec, this implies a weak/dirty laser.

2. Play the first track completely and if this goes on without a glitch, press skip and skip and skip until u reach the last track. If the machines hangs during skip, it also warns of a weak/dirty laser.

3. When u reach the last track, play some of it and then press "fast forward", resume play for a while and then press "fast reverse". If no problems arise from this process, I can safely say the laser is alright.

4. Last but no least, listen for any unnatural noise when loading/playing the cd. As this could warn of faltering transport mechanism.

In a cdp, the parts that wear out are laser pickup and springs that help to eject and retract the cd tray.

Just spent 1/2 hour finding for this post. Very useful imho.

Mods do you think this (or one with a new subject with nakedtoe's/mackie's instructions) could be stickied in the FAQs section?

I bought my 2nd handed 1980s Philips CD850 without doing any of these tests, just tested for functionality...luckily it reads the CD ~2secs after closing tray, and does not have any of the FF/FR problems...

there is a funny/weird "grinding"sound when the CD tray opens/closes, and Im not sure if its "normal", or a mechanical gear wear...not silent like PC-CD drives...anyone knows?

my cd 63 also got this problem.

you can open the box up and apply a bit of grease on the belt that control the tray, but the sound will go off after a few runs.

my cd 63 also got this problem.

you can open the box up and apply a bit of grease on the belt that control the tray, but the sound will go off after a few runs.

mine also have this problem :ppth:

just to add in my experiences when I bought my first 2nd-hand cdp: marantz cd6000

when I audition it, everything was fine. the cds load and play promptly. everything looks fine. However, when I power it on the 2nd day, the player always show a 'error' or 'no disc' when i put in the cds. only after letting it warm up for about an hour can it play the discs properly. so apparently it is a weak laser issue. so the previous owner has already suffiently warmed it up for me to audit when I am there. that's why there wasn't any problem when i audition it. so i have no choice but to warm up the player everytime I want to play it, until I finally change the lens last month. then there is zero warming up time. well, i bought it at a good price so I have nothing to complain about although the laser is weak.

so, maybe you should request a 3-days personal warranty from the seller just in case. or power down, wait awhile, and power up again.