Sign in to follow this  
ablaze

Gilmore V1 vs V2

hello all,

first off, I should say, I'm in love with evil-zen's V2 wub.gif haha

but at US$580 at least, including shipping, its really way too much for me right now.

HENCE, I'm thinking of picking up a used V1.

I'm thinking it should sound the same, or close enough, sure the V2's prettier, but I don't care for that.

so..what do you all think?

especially DIY-ers like jason and firefox who understand the schematics of the KGCA.

all opinions welcome yeah.gif

hm... blaze, how do you find the gilmore vs your ex- emp ?

I think emp should be around the same price right.

which do you prefer for your cd3k and why biggrin.gif

oh yea have you auditioned the v2 extensively too?

woah. don't turn the spotlight back on me blush.gif

anyway, I'm not gonna offer anything based on memory. I wouldn't feel comfortable offering my opinions unless I had them side by side for a few days at least.

uh.. ok. I've heard john's gilmore and while it sounds smoother and has greater bass impact than my ha-1 they're still sounding quite similar. I wanna experience that 'tubey lush midrange and warm sound' hence I thought I will try the tube amps next biggrin.gif

no more tubes for me man. just KNOWING that they're tubes in there will cause me to itch to do something with them, or change them or something. I'll never settle down that way sleep.gif

hahahaha... quite true also lah..

I think the real fun starts when we purchase new phones rather than new amp lol.

Because amp usually just improve on the sound but different headphones offer a totally different experience happy.gifhappy.gif

I plan to build the Gilmore as my third project.

After matbon power supply and the refurbish CLONE PPA. After I complete my Gilmore and let you test out??? kicking.gif

mm..no no. my question's if the v1 will sound like the v2, from what you know about the design?

There is no main schemactic changes in the design as what I see. The difference are just having the transformer include into the V2 casing as compare to the V1 having 2 separate casing.

Not much difference in sound.

If you want to buy a V1, here is what you should look for:

4 LED inside the Gilmore

... Thats it.

more info here:

http://www.headamp.com/products.shtml

Edited by jasonhanjk

thanks Jason. IF I manage to secure one (big IF), I'll probably need your help in converting it to our local voltage. yes.gif

I made a mistake. Please read my post again.

Adjusting the voltage is a breeze, maybe you need to have a slight mod on the V1 so that it can be comparable to the V2.

I have not seen the V1 before... innocent.gif

ablaze, why don't you ask those experts at headfi instead? I doubt many people have heard of both v1 and v2. So far there are only 3 HeadAmps ever landing on singapore. And you are one of the few who have seen both v1 and v2.

both is the same except for ps being separate, better case and a cord linking amp and ps. i think the ps is upgraded too but i can't remember exactly.

yeah..I might. eventually.

but now its exciting with the Gilmore LITE thrown into the equation.

lite vs V1 vs V2..hmm..

yep i think lite will be suitable for you. one input and one output. me needs plenty of inputs. sleep.gif

but the main problem will be the ps again......