Sign in to follow this  
fallraen

Ultimate Ears IEMs

hey guys, i know UE has been around (available locally) for quite sometime but i just tested them out at Jaben's yesterday. Hah, wow and i must say I quite like how it sounds (don't like the 5 EB tho)

impressions:

super.fi 3 studio: sounds musical, i feel its more balanced than the UM1 which is more bass heavy. the 3 studios sound more balanced, just the right amount of bass and treble... the bass doesn't cover the treble which the um1 tends to do. oh and it doesn't really have the sub-woofer in your ear feeling which is quite uncomfortable at times. honestly i quite like the 3 studios.

super.fi 5 EB: this one is like seriously for bass heads, its super bass heavy and i find the bass abit muddy. i think the bass covers alot of the detail of the music. i don't really like this one so i put it down after a brief try-out. for bass heads and people who like the thumping in the ears :) really BANG for your buck :P

super.fi 5 pro: wah this one is really good, not a bass overkill like the UM2 and really pleasant to the ear. really full bodied sounds. the music really sounded great on this earphones. the dual drivers really give a clear, accurate, slightly warm sound to the music. (actually i'm not sure if the music sounded warm with the headphones as i was using a portable amp with it. so it could be the amp at work hehe oops) well, the trebles, mids and bass were all brought to life with this really musical iem. i would get them, if i could afford them :) by the way all the sets are all sold out so if anyone else is interested you'll have to wait. or get them at SE.

well.... after using my um1s for quite sometime, i wanna get another iem like a er6/i or a 3 studio. and after testing the UEs i'm quite confused haha. guess i'll wait till i can afford either then decide. anyways i didn't really like how the UEs were constructed. they really stick out of the ear (frankenstein ears), as compared to my um1 which is really a nice snug fit that looks "stealth" but looks are just looks. most importantly is that they sound great.

just my take on the UEs.

cheers.

hehehe nice thread review man :D

my advice go get ue 3 but not 6i,cos like low volume n no bass.

for ue 3 some how im tempted to get it,it sounds balance,not so boomy in bass but clear in songs n instrumental.

i got that feeling too... somehow i feel that a single driver is enough for now.... hahaha

haha... will get down to try it wen i'm free... very bz.. dun even haf to to go down and get the cadas hp1... but dun think SF3s will sound better den im716 since im716 sound more detail and fuller den sf5pro

sf5pro is great for unamp and if u lyk warm sound... im716 is great if amp and u always change of mood (haha... the switch...) wonder the new wearing method will make the bass stronger...

Nice review, especially on the Super.fi 5 EB. Almost wanted to get another set, the 5EB. However, after reading your review, i think better not. After getting my 5 Pro for almost a month, i think it's a all-rounder. Practically any genre will stand out in the 5 Pro.

Anyway, has the demo set for 5 EB been burnt-in?

Just to share with the forumers here, i think some careful handling is necessary is to be taken with the Ultimate Ears Super.fi series.

I really dislike loaning my UE IEM to my friends for try-outs. They will just snug the IEM's memory wire, heavily amending the contour of the memory wire for themselves.

Another thing is storage of the IEM. I can no longer simply slip the IEM into my pants. The reasons are for the memory wire and the unique shaped unit. So i keep them in the metallic case bundled. But you will get curly problems with the new Lite 2 clear cables. (argh, just get used to it)

If all these factors are taken care of, you can graduate as a Ultimate Ear Super.fi user! :D

Edited by zonalblitz_audio

It sounds good, only thing is the UEs are a bit uncomfortable. If earmolds could be made for them, they would be perfect. But then, I'd also wait for the UE's yet unnamed triple driver IEMs which would be coming out soon to make a decision.

It would definitely make sense to upgrade to a dual driver IEM coming from a single driver one, which can only be that good. UM1 to SF3 or ER6i is more like a sidegrade. Fine though, if you're happy with the performance in this class of IEMs and want a different sound signature :)

hmmm well, im not too sure. i think they are around the range of the um1s? jaben or anyone confirm this?