Sign in to follow this  
fallraen

Ultimate Ears IEMs

i think outrun is not the right word or not right at all. i'm guessing a dual driver will perform better in lab tests (compared to single driver) in terms of sound reproduction, accuracy, etc.... however how one likes the sound is still personal. you might have 3 drivers and still not like the sound or perfer it to a single driver. 3 drivers might be suberb and out perform any earphone but how one likes his music. thats really personal.

3 drivers more room for error? hahaha.... oh well, i haven't heard the e500 but i guess you have to try them all out first. :)

Yes, i understand. I also disagree with their claim of single drivers over duals. I think you're right, it comes down to individual listening tastes. Well, i think i should get my ears on e500 some day. :))

i think outrun is not the right word or not right at all. i'm guessing a dual driver will perform better in lab tests (compared to single driver) in terms of sound reproduction, accuracy, etc.... however how one likes the sound is still personal. you might have 3 drivers and still not like the sound or perfer it to a single driver. 3 drivers might be suberb and out perform any earphone but how one likes his music. thats really personal.

3 drivers more room for error? hahaha.... oh well, i haven't heard the e500 but i guess you have to try them all out first. :)

I disagree actually

The top range universal fit ety's (ER4P and S) are by far still more accurate than the UEs top range universal fit IEMs (5Pro).

I guess many of us should conclude the IEM after auditioning through different players or set-ups. I realise majority of players will differ in sound at no EQ, same rip format.

My lastest play is the LDM+ with SPC interconnects with my iPod Mini line-out. You can say it sounds very different, the profile is highly detailed and tight, punchy bass. Personally i would prefer my music to be detailed and yet on the 'fun' side. I'm a all-rounder listening chap, thus Super.fi 5 Pro was my choice. :D

Etymotic 4R-S is definitely a great piece of Earphones. Too bad, it doesn't have enough warmth(thin) and decay. Super.Fi 5 Pro is such a fun and exciting IEM, it's got the warmth IMO. Shure E4C, it's surely balanced, but after listening to Super.Fi 5 Pro which is fun, e4c could become boring at times. I find that e4c is very smooth but it has a coloring in the mid-range area which I'm not really too happy about(boxy sound). Partly because I'm used to listening to Sensaphonics 2X-S, it's more balanced and also fun, therefore I didn't get the WOW factor from e4c. Super.Fi 5 Pro has this Wow factor, it's strength is the bass and the soundstage. With Super.Fi you feel like having a subwoover in your head. The high also extends quite high. It's really the quality of the bass not just the quantity. With Sensaphonics, it feels like you are having a Velodyne subwoofer in your head a lot tighter and a lot punchier, and the total sound quality is very smooth with great clarity.

Edited by jlingo

2X-S? Wow, that's rare... Seeing many customs on the forums now of days... Sigh.

It seems that it is almost impossible to get a decent seal out of the Super fi. 5 pros though, I tried a few times, but could get a seal... Funnily shaped ears?

Not really, but i think you need some time to get a perfect seal from it. :D I read from some online sources that Super.fi offers about 70% isolation without the music playing.

Well, the Aurvanas say that they can do 90% if I am not wrong... :P

The UEs don't go as deep though, which can be a good thing for those not used to IEMs, though I prefer the Westone/E5 style of insertion.

Yes I agree, Westone comply tips has a better insertion and comfort also seal. Out of the three Etymotic, Um2, and Super.Fi, I find that Super.Fi gives me the least amount of isolation. Super.Fi also doesn't go as deep as the other IEM, that's for sure. With Super.Fi you just have to get the correct size of tips and push the earphone as deep as possible to get a guaranteed seal. :)

jlingo, you able to insert deep with your tips? I can't. I find the sleeve goes out of shape when i tried deeper insertion like other IEMs, losing seal. Besides, the tip is big as compared to Westones and Etys. Therefore i used the Medium sleeves.

jlingo, you able to insert deep with your tips? I can't. I find the sleeve goes out of shape when i tried deeper insertion like other IEMs, losing seal. Besides, the tip is big as compared to Westones and Etys. Therefore i used the Medium sleeves.

Uhm, I guess everyone ears are different. That's really too bad. My left ear, I can insert my Super.Fi very deep, but for my right one, it's not possible. Either way, I'm getting good seal. but the isolation is not as good as etymotic nor Westone. The stem of Super.Fi 5 is indeed very thick.