Sign in to follow this  
norseman

Tri-flange? Bi-flange?

sidegraded from cresyn E630 to creative EP630. initially i thought there were problems with my cresyn cos i notice the bass, on some songs, is marginally more on the right side than on the left side. my replacement choice was the creative, cos i was hungry for more bass, yet didn't want to splurge too much on 'higher' earphones. alas on the ep630, i can also notice that the RHS is marginally bassier than the LHS! hence apparently there isn't anything wrong with the cresyn, nor is it a psychological problem on my part.

i tried senn px100 before and it was fine. so it seems like i have this problem particularly with canalphones. could it be that my ear canals on both sides are not exactly symmetrical, resulting in different levels of isolation? (am i alien :helpsmilie: ) sorry to beat about the bush before coming back to the thread topic. so assuming my hypothesis is right, would these flange eartips be able to solve my problem?

anyway many thanks to Aron from SE where i bought my ep630 from yesterday. what a great guy! had wanted to add on a set of canare interconnects to my purchase, too bad the metal netting made the cable too stiff for my set-up of yh-j50 -> ldm+. He racked his brains to help me brainstorm for solutions and alternatives. what a service with a personal touch. :beer:

p.s.: i finally truly understand why afbug emphaises that stock IC are as good(bad) as stock earphones. :grin:

Edited by Theatre Of Dreams

sadly i didn't get any. once i tried this metal-netted canare, i couldn't bring myself to settle for the other 'lesser' canare cable which was not netted and more flexible, cos even a noob like me could sense some significant differences already. the higher spec one has more pronounced bass (can pick out the "thumpings" more amidst the low range) and less harsh treble as compared to the lower spec one. and the next step higher in the budget range seemed too high for me to just plunge in w/o some surveying in the forums.

anyway i had the pleasure to try out the ultmate link black emperor IC (SE announcements/offers), and i must say my bass hunger could still have been satisfied with this piece of magic, if i chose not to get the ep630 and continue with the cresyn.

Edited by Theatre Of Dreams

Theatre Of Dreams = Old Trafford? :P You can try Shure E2 foam tips. Might work better. They come in 3 sizes and if you're using M size on Cresyn/Creative, the M size foam will probably fit. BTW, what is a metal-netted canare?

I also got a new IC recently. Ordered with replay.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
Its a Turbo mini, pictured with a Shuffle and Go-vibe V3 as it looks better. I normally use it with a Discman.

IPB Image

Theatre Of Dreams = Old Trafford? :P You can try Shure E2 foam tips. Might work better. They come in 3 sizes and if you're using M size on Cresyn/Creative, the M size foam will probably fit. BTW, what is a metal-netted canare?

I also got a new IC recently. Ordered with replay.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
Its a Turbo mini, pictured with a Shuffle and Go-vibe V3 as it looks better. I normally use it with a Discman.

IPB Image

yes Theatre Of Dreams = Old Trafford = My-Love-With-Or-Without-Trophy :grin:

haha metal-netted. i created this term myself, dunno what's the proper term. it's a net around the cable for protection, but also makes the cable stiffer. apparently it's stretched like a spring to cover the cable length, cos Aron suggested customising one for me with less tension on the net so that the cable can be more flexible for my set-up (my source and amp are same size which makes the IC plug-ins very near to each other. stiff IC cable will have trouble bending.)

may i ask what are the general differences among flange, flex, and foam sleeves/eartips? heez i know i should be flamed for not tracking back the threads, but just a general idea?

Theatre of dreams, made one Canare IC with superb flexiblity for you to try ( just try, no need to feel obligated to buy, thanx for pointing out the flexiblity issue), and also re-done the rest to improve their flexiblity. Testing them now and then ensuring they pass the multiple bending tests.

Theatre of dreams, made one Canare IC with superb flexiblity for you to try ( just try, no need to feel obligated to buy, thanx for pointing out the flexiblity issue), and also re-done the rest to improve their flexiblity. Testing them now and then ensuring they pass the multiple bending tests.

wow.. tt gd...

yes Theatre Of Dreams = Old Trafford = My-Love-With-Or-Without-Trophy :grin:

haha metal-netted. i created this term myself, dunno what's the proper term. it's a net around the cable for protection, but also makes the cable stiffer. apparently it's stretched like a spring to cover the cable length, cos Aron suggested customising one for me with less tension on the net so that the cable can be more flexible for my set-up (my source and amp are same size which makes the IC plug-ins very near to each other. stiff IC cable will have trouble bending.)

may i ask what are the general differences among flange, flex, and foam sleeves/eartips? heez i know i should be flamed for not tracking back the threads, but just a general idea?

Haha icic....me too! Let me do some shameless promoting..... http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=5478

When you visit Aron, you can see the difference between those tips. Foams are generally more confortable but don't last long. Rubber ones last longer but might not be as comfortable.

I think I may be ever so slightly deformed. Still not getting a good fit even with the bi-flanges. My RHS keeps breaking the seal when I move my head or my jaws. And complys get so icky after a sweaty day out. Sigh...