Sign in to follow this  
norseman

Tri-flange? Bi-flange?

Just got a set of tri-flanges from Jaben. Cut off the stem flush with the biggest flange. Now I can't make up my mind whether to cut off the smallest flange as well. Help!

For the UM2, a bi-flange makes for better sound and more comfort. A normal tri-flange with the stem cut off, will make the IEM stick out even when pushed into the ear.

But you gotta see what IEM you're using it on lah.

Personal opinion is critical here. It does not really matter whether bi-flanges or tri-flanges are used, as long as you feel comfortable.

Really like tri-flangesI bought from Jaben, as they have incredible isolation, even compared to foams (although I am not too sure about customs, though I am eager to... :P)

PS, I am using the triflanges on the UM1, pops out quite a bit, but i don't really want to cut the stem, yet.

Really like tri-flangesI bought from Jaben, as they have incredible isolation, even compared to foams (although I am not too sure about customs, though I am eager to... :P)

everytime the words "flanges" and "isolation" get mentioned in the same sentence, i cant help but think about the earplugs used during range and live firing.

hehe yes, the same earplugs that you'll soon come to own and hang from your SBO.

Most people don't have such deep earholes that all 3 flanges can fit in. If you don't feel comfortable with a tri flange, by all means trim off one to make it more comfortable. The difference in isolation would be marginal if you can't fully fit a tri flange in your ears in the first place.

I'm using um1. Even with the stem off it still pops out quite some. And sometimes the smallest flange rubs too deep inside and it feel yuck! I'm just worried if I mod it the SQ and isolation will be different.

You should ALWAYS cut the smallest stem off (exception of REALLY small ears).

Since you cut off the largest stem, it won't isolate as much anymore and may reduce sound quality.

Also, cutting the smallest stem will be pointless now.

Err...I cut off the stem, not the flange...

My bad. Wasn't reading clearly; really tired.

Wait, so you modded a SHURE tri-flange?

Now it seems like a waste of money..... lol.

It's weird how 1 pair of Shure tri-flanges are worth 5 pairs of etymotic tri-flanges when the only difference is that the Etymotic ones don't have the stem.

Cut the smallest flange off. CUT IT OFF LIKE YOU WERE NEUDERING A PET.

Ya, they were like $11 or sth. Oh well, guess i'll just butcher them and to hell with it. The medium soft flexes I'm currently using dont seem to give a good seal. The right side leaks air in too easily and I always get uncomfortable air pressure in my ears when I put them in.

Air pressure in the ears, apart from uncomfort, will it affect the sound quality? Probably like the eardrum unable to vibrate at ease? (just some possible guess)

The only overpressuring i ever come across is the hard sleeve from Shure, very good isolation but unfortunately it couldn't fit on my IEM.

The bi-flanges work the best now, aside from the complys. I don't get the air pressure problem and they're soft enough to be inserted deeply. Now my problem is I keep hearing more on the left side on some albums from Jimi Hendrix and Marilyn Manson. Dunno if the recordings' that way or something wrong with the right side...