Sign in to follow this  
Spartan

Zen Neeon 2

The design is not very exciting, especially compared to the more recent DAP's from other competitors - iRiver, Samsung, Sansa etc. Having said that, the sound should be OK since it's a Creative.

I feel that Creative has way too many MP3 product lines....it's confusing. The naming convention should also be revamped. You have the Zen Vision, Zen Vision:M, Zen V, Muvo, Neeon, Zen MicroPhoto, Zen Micro, Zen Sleek, Zen Nano etc. How do you come up with a coherent marketing and advertising message for so many products & designs? Especially if they're all functionally similar.

Edited by scanfiend

i will choose zen v+ over it as said earlier... zen neeon2 navigate still using those jogdial rocker switch, bad screen. sound wise, typical creative... other den price, i think other offer by iaudio, iriver, sandisk seems a better choice

kinda makes u wonder why they bothered with the built-in speaker.

the form factor is more appealing if they can outdo the competition.

but it still looks real good, as per the m cody, the mkt might be flooded with this look over the next 6 mths if teh iPod experience is anything to go by...

i've had bad experiences with creative products

and i believe many creative owners will agree

especially their line of mp3 players

i've owned a zen micro for a year or so

within 1 year, i've had it replaced 3 times (my friend, 5 times!)

due to headphone jack/switch problems

after my warranty has expired (and i've given up on creative :P )

i opened up the zen micro to fix the headphones jack, with the aid of an online DIY (courtesy of a disgruntled zen micro owner)

the problem with the headphone jack is due to weak soldering

can literally see the 4 point metal contacts had little solder, which resulted in jack loose and thus, the crackling sound, under the average usage of any DAP users

when i opened the player,

i was shocked to find that the metal contacts which were supposed to be soldered

has 2 chunks of glue instead to hold them in place

and it's the rubbery kind

no wonder the crackling loose jack

i removed the glue with the heat gun and did the soldering myself and now it's good to go

terribly disappointed with creative's QC and repair support

The weak headphone jack is a fairly well-known problem for the Zen Micro. I believe the later versions fixed that. Not to say it excuses Creative of course. The headphone jack is a point of vulnerbility for any DAP. That's why I always look for L shaped jacks on my interconnects and headphones - it gives zero stress on the jack compared to a straight plug.

However, I have ZERO problems with the other Creative players that I own....A Zen 4GB Muvo, a Zen (20 GB), Zen Vision:M. Maybe I've been lucky :)) Creative makes competent products, only their design is a bit lacking.

Well, even i'm not a Creative user here. I think i love their Stick-ons designs they offered. Very cool! Of course i wish that Creative would work on their design and material choice in the case of being too "plastic".

What's next? Wood players? :P

Anyway, I predict the trend of aluminium shells for future DAPs, just as MobiBLU has done with its US2 slim player, which looks really pretty.

I see aluminium and polycarbonate a trend for DAPs. Speaking of wood! There is quite a party of wood lovers for your info. Not appealling to most young adults or teens but there is a still a party of people who will go for quality or exotic wood. Namely the people who loves jazz & classical, home theatre lovers, pool cue lovers(for exotic wood) etc.. :D