Sign in to follow this  
SKN

Perfect earphones for my preference of music?

I love listening to metal and I am look for a suitable pair of inner-earphones for myself. What I am looking for:

1) Bass

2) Voice clarity

3) NO RECESSED HIGHS!

4) Soundstage not that important

:party:

My choices at the moment: Budget: ANYTHING LESS THAN 250!

1) Westone UM1

2) AKG K81 DJ (I know not earphones, but sounds pretty good)

3) Nothing else

Anyone wants to recommend me anything else? (No Shure E2c please, hate the recessed highs that came with it)

Those who need to know what I listen to: Falconer, Nightwish style music.

Edited by SKN

The K81DJ seems to be a safe bet for that. Its got a lot of bass (even after the foam removal mod), the vocals are alright IMO, and the highs aren't recessed.

Non-custome semi-canals usually have a fit/ear structure difference problem that leads to some people hearing different sounds, so take what we say about IEMs with a pinch of salt and do test them out on your own if possible :)

Personally though, my fave closed portable cans I've managed to try/use to date is the Sennheiser HD25SP, decent sound for a small closed can without too much bass and it isolates quite a lot (better than semi-canals), but it's very expensive... But given its response in the FreqGraph, I don't think it'll suit your tastes n.n;

Edited by Zephyron

Try the UE super fi. 3 studios. I loved it for rock. It has more bass than the UM1 and is significantly louder and more sensitive. Though not many people may like'em but, for a metal rocker like u, u might just as well.....

Try them out! *note: just don't try thr 5 pros or else... ... ...

hmmm... i think the k81 will be cool. i just bought it and i think it's quite good. yup. why not take a trip down to SE to test out some of those headphones/IEMs?

You could always choose to not use the tri-flanges in the im716, although I'd say that it is rather good. Many, however, say that the UM1 has rather recessed highs, so I doubt that would be a good choice.

Where would you be using it? At home? That would be crucial in deciding between IEMs and full-sized cans.

How about the SR80? Grado's typical highs, narrow soundstage, with some extra bass over the SR60s, though an amp may be needed...

Also, of the 2 stated choices, only the UM1 is an in-ear monitor.

I would second the suggestion of the super fi. 3 studios, and maybe perhaps the d-jays.

For the oomph factor I would say the K81DJ. I have both and the DJs rock when I feel like blasting my music. For outdoor use though, like on the bus, they don't isolate so well and I prefer my UM1s, I use tri-flange modded bi-flange and its really quite comfy and convenient. But the extension is lacking on these IEMs so I eq the top and bottom ends to compensate a bit. I listen to a lot of DnB, electronica, chill, some rock and a little jazz.