Sign in to follow this  
loop_

My supermini IV arrived...

:lust::lust::lust:

Some photos:

The supermini came in an padded envelope, with the biggest joke for a box from anything I've ever purchased! Good attempt by Xin to improve his packaging, but it's really just a folded piece of paper. Came crumpled too..

IPB Image

IPB Image

Compared with an EZlink card. Using a 'paperclip' mod here in place of another AAA battery to reduce background noise on certain opamp configurations. Xin's instructions.

IPB Image

Nice engraving, and it comes with a blue LED

IPB Image

IPB Image

Great thing about this amp is that it can be tweaked by swapping opamps. Many permutations here, and you can discern the changes in the way it sounds easily. First thing I asked myself when I heard it was...why did I build my twinkle??? :doh:

The twinkle isn't a step down, but it's not a step up either. Just a different sound. But then again, at a price of $199usd compared to $75sgd for the twinkle, plus a three month wait, I expected it to sound great.

For those unfamiliar with Xin amps:

http://www.fixup.net/products/

http://www.fixup.net/talk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1759

Edited by loop_

' date='7 Sep 2006, 01:43 PM' post='77474']

Question : Is it possible to power up the Supermini with just only one piece of batt??

Yep..so long as you use a metal conductor at the other one. Provides enough power for about 10 hours or more I think, depending on what opamps you use. Some opamps cannot use 1 battery only too...

enough photos la... :))

Guest joi-ful

This should be more appropriate under the portable audio forum yea?

But at such such a high price (relative to myself), some might want to consider using it for their home set-up as well....bleh.

Next upgrade.... supermacro IV?

That is a fine looking amp but boy! What a box! How it sound? AD8397 in it?

oh yes it should be in the portable. sorry for the mistake...mods please move it..i'm using it with at home though..with my hd600.. :P

Yes one ad8397 in the 3&4 channel socket, lmh6643 in the buffer socket, and the 'solid tube wide voltage' opamp in the L&R socket. Xin erased the opamp number on this one...

How does it sound? A bit hard to describe because it changes according to the opamp. It came stock with 2xad8397 with the buffer socket bypassed. I didn't quite like this. By and large, one feature common to most opamps is the slightly warmer characteristic of this amp. It's warm but detailed, and very musical. Bass can be strong or not, just change the jumper setting. :grin:

Those who are thinking of the supermacro IV, I would suggest getting a supermicro or supermini as an interesting alternative. Xin did not price them lower because they sound worse. In fact, Goto2003, a prominent figure in Xin's forum and someone who helps Xin with prototyping, has mentioned that from the start of the IV series, the supermini and supermicro sounds better than the supermacro. Xin is still prototyping the supermacro to 'catch up' (http://www.fixup.net/talk/topic.asp?

TOPIC_ID=1910&whichpage=3).

The supermicro is weaker because you cannot play with settings, and change opamps. The supermini because it only takes dual opamps, and settings are changed via jumpers, not external switches, so the 'pimped out' version of the supermacro (at $99usd extra) cannot be used on the supermini.

Edited by loop_

Yes, it's somewhat similiar.

THD stands for Total Harmonic distortion. It measures how much extra coloration it adds to the music. (I am trying to use layman term here.. :)) )

This time though I wanted to measure using another equipment and not soundcard... ;)

Those who are thinking of the supermacro IV, I would suggest getting a supermicro or supermini as an interesting alternative. Xin did not price them lower because they sound worse. In fact, Goto2003, a prominent figure in Xin's forum and someone who helps Xin with prototyping, has mentioned that from the start of the IV series, the supermini and supermicro sounds better than the supermacro. Xin is still prototyping the supermacro to 'catch up' (http://www.fixup.net/talk/topic.asp?

TOPIC_ID=1910&whichpage=3).

So the Supermacro IV sound still can't compared to the supermicro or supermini yet ?

Maybe need to wait for sometimes.

Thought of getting the Supermacro IV ;)

Edited by Jeremy

I thought of getting the Supermacro too, just because it had a massive amount of op-amp sockets to play around with. (8 if I remember correctly).

But its just a playful thought. I will never get a Xin product, because somehow I don't like Xin as a guy. Weird personal bias I guess, but I would rather buy from Gary Ali.

I'm probably hijacking the topic, but just need a quick answer. :P

Sometime ago, while buying the PA2v2 on behalf of my friend, I asked Gary if there's going to be a PA3 and he said there's one in the works. The friend I bought the amp for also mentioned that someone on this forum beta-tested the PA3 for Gary. Is it true?

Anyway, hope to read a full sonic impression from you loop! ;)

Edited by aegisofrime

I'm probably hijacking the topic, but just need a quick answer. :P

Sometime ago, while buying the PA2v2 on behalf of my friend, I asked Gary if there's going to be a PA3 and he said there's one in the works. The friend I bought the amp for also mentioned that someone on this forum beta-tested the PA3 for Gary. Is it true?

Anyway, hope to read a full sonic impression from you loop! ;)

Really? Hmmm.....he promised to let me test his prototype long time ago, maybe I should be so thick skin as to ask him again? :lust::blush:

Fasle Alarm! :)) Replied form Gary

" Thank you for reply. Some day there will be a PA3 but

this will definitely not be soon. I have not finalized any

designs. Keeping up with the orders for the PA2V2s takes most of

the time.

I think someone may have posted that a new amp is coming soon.

It will not be soon, things are only in an early stage and

progress slowly. "

Really? Hmmm.....he promised to let me test his prototype long time ago, maybe I should be so thick skin as to ask him again? :lust::blush: