Sign in to follow this  
aaron-xp

Sony SCD CES95

This, Sony SCD CE595, was recommended by many (sites and headfi) for being a good budget CDP and SACD player. Was wondering where it could be bought (in Singapore) and what its price is. Intending to get it as a Christmas present, for myself though. :P

EDIT: Is there a need for an external DAC? Something like Zhaolu seems interesting...

Edited by aaron-xp

No replies yet? :P

Was wondering how they would sound paired with an AD900 or HD595 and a DAC-AH.

This should be available at Sim Lim Square, right?

No experience with SCD CE595. I guess you have to audition it and compare to other CDPs. However I have very good experience with Sony CDP. I am using today my 15 years old CDP597. Still going strong til today, never gave me headache, lens is still strong.

How much is CD595? If you are looking at budget CDP, I think Marantz 5001 is quite a good contender (around $300). In the price range of around $700, you have popular choices like Cambridge Azur 640 V2, Rotel 1072, NAD542. I personally prefer 1 box solution. The transporter+DAC is too complicated for me :D

true, i second for Marantz CD5001 as im getting it for myself too.

Edited by ahdui

Last check, KEC is left with the champange gold ones. Good price and good deal IMO.

Now my PC is used mostly for gaming rather than listening to music. :P

This, Sony SCD CE595, was recommended by many (sites and headfi) for being a good budget CDP and SACD player. Was wondering where it could be bought (in Singapore) and what its price is. Intending to get it as a Christmas present, for myself though. :P

EDIT: Is there a need for an external DAC? Something like Zhaolu seems interesting...

What is your priority, CD or SACD? For a fact, budget priced CD/SACD machines play the latest format reasonably well but not redbook (CD) though. As such, you would do better with the likes of a Marantz CD5001. If you are looking for a machine that plays SACD as priority, the Sony will be a good choice as they are low cost, well constructed and sound pretty good with this format. However, forget about adding aftermarket DAC of the same price bracket, as they don't accept SACD playback.

Edited by Mackie

Well, SACD is a secondary feature. Redbook is still the most important to me. I know for the fact that the CE595 does not do digital output for SACDs.

Was trying to keep the cost of the CDP low so that I could add a budget DAC on (most likely DAC-AH), and the Sonys seemed to fit the bill.

Marantz CD5001?

Anyway, how does one audition CDPs? Walk into a shop and ask if they allow you to try?

It's the same as trying on a tee or pants in any shop/shopping center. Just ask. If you are willing to try out the Marantz CD5001, you will have to visit KEC at Adelphi. They are known amongst audiophile and videophiles to provide impeccable sales service. Try to visit them on weekdays though, as they will always be busy on weekends. Bring your cds and can and/or amp for an audition. Personally, auditioning your cans direct from the cdp's headphone out is sufficient. If you fancy DAC so much, try to research on it and discover the pro and cons. While you are at it, research on the DAC of Marantz CD5001 too.

Edited by Mackie