Sign in to follow this  
zer061zer0

Mini to RCA

I quote myself here from another thread with some edits...

"not sure about DIYing at LHS, but some options you have are the cheap daiyo ones(<$10) available almost everywhere. I dont like them because mine had the left/right channels swapped...I know its not a big problem, but it says alot on how much they know about what they they doing/making...

then theres the option of factory terminated ones(more expensive $50-$100), like the monster cables at harvey norman(even home-fix has em), the QED available at AVIT in SLS, or AUDIOQUEST ones available at Jaben...

generally, most people would go for factory terminated ones for these mini-rca IC because its not that easy to fit 2 cables from the rca into the mini 1/8' jack."

Thanks fongalv,

so its confirm that LHS dont do any termination for mini to RCA is it..?

yes, they do mini to rca.

i went down to do a pair of rca cables and also asked whether they do rca to mini, and they said its possible to be done there.

went there few days back

that I cannot say for sure...call them up and ask ba...Ive been DYING to go down to get some stuff but my work schedule dosent permit it... :rclxub:

kekekee...

I can drop by as its quite near me, but i need to bar myself from going down, been spending a lot recently.need to control.. :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Maybe next week, cos i need some power cords and stuff

They do. I spoke to the boss he told me they could do it with 2 really thick belden cables (cannot remember the number) and connect the mini part by enlarging the hole by drilling i think..sounds cool...if you don't want that they can do it with whatever cable you want also so long as it's bought from them.

How do you want the sound of your setup to change i.e. it's too warm, highs too bright, etc etc? A brief description might be useful in soliciting more responses. :D

They do. I spoke to the boss he told me they could do it with 2 really thick belden cables (cannot remember the number) and connect the mini part by enlarging the hole by drilling i think..sounds cool...if you don't want that they can do it with whatever cable you want also so long as it's bought from them.

How do you want the sound of your setup to change i.e. it's too warm, highs too bright, etc etc? A brief description might be useful in soliciting more responses. :D

I think i need something that helps to buck up the bass, and more transient..

its belden 89259. great wires for IC.

hi ahdui,

how does it differ from the klotz gy107 and the belden 1694A ...?

Anyone know what are the differences btw a copper braid sheild and aluminium braid shield..

yes, they do mini to rca.

i went down to do a pair of rca cables and also asked whether they do rca to mini, and they said its possible to be done there.

went there few days back

Any pictures to share??

zer061zer0: sorry i've only tried out the belden, nt yet the others, maybe u can approach someone else for info abt klotz gy107 and the belden 1694A

[J]-ohn: didnt take pics, but i will take some pics since there is a request :)

First and foremost, Belden 89259 sounds really sparkling at the top end of audio spectrum which is really pleasant if one's system is lacking in this department. But it might not suit the thread starter's target of bass reinforcement. Klotz GY107 is a better option in this case.

Wow, I'm surprised that the difference between a copper vs aluminium braided SHIELD is discernible and if this is really the case, the person should not play around with DIY but high end cables.

My point? Do not be too concerned with the technical aspect and try to get the sound right. In which case, cables are meant to tweak the sound, much akin to fine adjustment on your TV set. If your system is far from reaching the target sound (like not locking into a certain TV channel), no amount of tweaking will help to achieve your objective.

zero: As earlier advised, your weakest link is the source (dvdp) itself. Borrow a cdp or bring your amp and cans to place of audition and determine if it's true.

First and foremost, Belden 89259 sounds really sparkling at the top end of audio spectrum which is really pleasant if one's system is lacking in this department. But it might not suit the thread starter's target of bass reinforcement. Klotz GY107 is a better option in this case.

Wow, I'm surprised that the difference between a copper vs aluminium braided SHIELD is discernible and if this is really the case, the person should not play around with DIY but high end cables.

My point? Do not be too concerned with the technical aspect and try to get the sound right. In which case, cables are meant to tweak the sound, much akin to fine adjustment on your TV set. If your system is far from reaching the target sound (like not locking into a certain TV channel), no amount of tweaking will help to achieve your objective.

zero: As earlier advised, your weakest link is the source (dvdp) itself. Borrow a cdp or bring your amp and cans to place of audition and determine if it's true.

Hi mackie,

I am no longer using a dvdp for almost a month, i didnt mentioned that to you? I am using a cd63se now.

The reason to the question of braiding is out of curiosity. Not sure why came up with these conclusions of being overly concerned with the technical stuff :blink: i guess its just a casual questions on why this material is used instead of another. Dont be to fast to jump on anything.

Hmmm... I wasn't aware you have already committed in a cd63SE, last heard, you were preparing for an audition.

As for the question on aluminium and copper braiding, it's cost and conductivity. The former has twice the conductivity over copper on a weight basis.

http://www.key-to-metals.com/Article116.htm

Aside from Klotz GY107, Belden 89259 is suitable for your system. Belden 1694a is a 75-ohm cable meant for digital audio/video transmission. Of course, it could be used as an analogue interconnect but it might not sound as good as 89259.

Edited by Mackie

Hmmm... I wasn't aware you have already committed in a cd63SE, last heard, you were preparing for an audition.

As for the question on aluminium and copper braiding, it's cost and conductivity. The former has twice the conductivity over copper on a weight basis.

http://www.key-to-metals.com/Article116.htm

thanks mackie, i was looking at my stripped bleden 1694 which have aluminium brading adn the 8925xx have copper braiding, thus the question.

1694a should have tighter specs as it's meant for digital audio/video application. Since RFI/EMI has a greater impact on digital signal quality, aluminium shielding wire is chosen over the less conductive but cheaper copper.