Sign in to follow this  
lka

Which MP3 player for best sound?

Can I ask you audiophiles....

When it comes to sound quality, which MP3 player has the best sound?

I do value ease of use, battery life, small form factor etc, but the most important quality for me is sound quality. Any recommendations to match my superfi5pro's?

Thanks!

I do value ease of use, battery life, small form factor etc, but the most important quality for me is sound quality. Any recommendations to match my superfi5pro's?

Thanks!

If you dont use EQ and dont choose music,1st Gen Ipod Shuffle....(dont know much about 2nd Gen SQ)

If you want want to use EQ and choose music,Iriver or Iaudio...

Would be better if you tell us your Price Range

Will you be using it with amp?

And you want Flash-based or Hard-disk based?

If you dont use EQ and dont choose music,1st Gen Ipod Shuffle....(dont know much about 2nd Gen SQ)

If you want want to use EQ and choose music,Iriver or Iaudio...

Would be better if you tell us your Price Range

Will you be using it with amp?

And you want Flash-based or Hard-disk based?

to add-on....Sony HD5 is also very good for hard-disk-based and gapless but need to use Sony software to transfer music into the player...

to add-on....Sony HD5 is also very good for hard-disk-based and gapless but need to use Sony software to transfer music into the player...

although what i've read from head-fi is the the hd5 hisses madly

Wow, so fast, thanks.

Price range. <$500

Flash or HDD - either is fine, but lean towards flash.

Size: small to mid sized. ie around nano to Ipod type size.

Amp - no seperate amp. Plug earphones directly into player.

Music service- not important. Already have hugh music collection.

But as I was saying... if audiophile sound quality is the most important factor, what mp3 player(s) are recommended?

An iRiver H320, I would think, paired of with an external DAC using the optical out.

Size: About the size of iPod (I would believe that it is thicker)

Capacity and storage medium: 30GB, HDD.

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=5597&hl=h320

Courts at Jurong was selling them for $399. Not too sure what portable DAC.

That is if you eventually what an external DAC (there room for upgrade here.) Otherwise, it is a decent iRiver offering, from a rather popular company for DAPs with sound quality as a high priority.

although what i've read from head-fi is the the hd5 hisses madly

I m using HD5 now & I found out the sq is very good & it also has line out (not sure is pure line out or not but it doesn't allow u to tune the eq or volumn). I dun hear any hiss at all when using UM1. The only things I dun like is the software is not as user friendly as ipod.

Thanks!

I think if u wanted high storage, u should go for HDD player.

As wat I know Apple player used to have low battery life & u need to use itune to download songs to player.

I think its better for u to make a trip down to Stereo Electronic at Causeway point to try out as much players as possible.

I would say Apple sound more digital & Iriver sound more analog. Haven't really compared the rest of the brands yet.

Anyway, sound is very subjective.

is kinda hard for him to decide. Not all of the people here know what he wants....(best sound quality?). Personally I will not really go into any Mp3 players yet. It seems like the Mp3 market is still not stable yet. With the recent dispute and now comes the Zune from Microsoft. But anyway if i am supposed to buy now i will got for Iriver E10. Small, sweet and nice sound ( I like the Ubass EQ on it. It sounds even better than SRS)

if you got huge collection of music, best flash player will be Sansa E280 and ipod nano 2gen 8gb. for hdd, ipod video 30gb or h320. both hdd player can be rockbox. the flash player mention will also be able to rockbox in the near future

Sorry to burst your bubbles, guys.. but all iRiver H3xx series do NOT come with optical outs.. they are shared line outs.. the ones that comes with optical line out is the H1xx series.

Sigh... That's to show my absolute ignorance... :(