Sign in to follow this  
kehyi

AKG K81DJ

Got me K81s at last from SE yesterday. In case anyone is as yet unaware, Aron is a swell guy... really :thumbup:

Pulled out the central foams almost immediately. The improvement to trebles is quite striking. Also regarding comfort, the K81s sit tight on the head, but as the cup swivels, it's possible to adjust it for more comfort. And yeah, the cord is too long, but it's nothing a little smartwrap can't solve.

Will be using this for my daily commute. So far, isolation is pretty decent.

I'll do a comparison between my K81 and KSC75 if anyone is interested... :cans:

Hey, can i try them out? im planning to buy ms1 and found the bass on the akg's a little muddy and strong. Thks

Bass clears up after some time. I have the foams out too, can't stand it with them it. One thing I don't like about the sound is how closed in it is. I use the syncwrap on the cable cuz the smartwrap just too tiny. Looking to do a recable though...

Guest joi-ful

Congrats Kehyi! You've finally gotten your pair of portable closed cans, hope you like them as much as my friend did. Yes! Do a comparison between this and your KSC75. We'll be v interested to find out more...

lol, using lineout and amp so eq no effect... :P

did some burn in with some hi freq sweeps and it does open up the mid range and highs abit (psychological maybe?) But the k81s are very efficient and I never run it on an amp. Just direct from headphone out. I'll doubt you'll be listening critically with these cans cos they really are "grooverlizers"

A simple comparison between AKG K81DJ and Koss KSC75.

Source: Since I'm using them for music on the go, the source is my shuffle, the music is AAC 128kbps or 192kbps.

Music: A range - classical, piano, acoustic, rock, pop, cuban jazz, ballad.

Just for the heck of it, i added a Sennheiser MX500 to the 'test' as well...

K81DJ

The first thing anyone notices about this is the Bass Boom. The bass is deep, impactful and well, kinda boomy. On bass-heavy music, it can sound unbalanced. It works surprisingly well for classical music though, providing a nice base for the music to build on.

However, the bass is counter-balanced by treble clarity. Details are present and discernable, leading to that 'Hey, I've not heard this part before' feeling on some tracks.

Sound stage is decent and it really doesn't have that closed-in, boxed-up sound that afflict closed phones sometimes.

The K81DJs offers enough isolation for me to enjoy my music, even on a noisy, TV Mobile infested bus. But it doesn't totally cut me off from the world, which is A Good Thing, especially when crossing the road etc :) Oh, the isolation seems particularly effective in blocking out female voices...

KSC75

The KSC75 has lesser bass quantity which lacks the impact, the slam of the AKG. But if you listen to it without refering the the K81, the bass is really quite good, with nice deep extension.

Treble clarity is again good and perhaps, slightly better than the AKG. In complex piano passages, I can make out the details better on the KSC75 than the K81. Sometimes, however, the AKGs seem clearer, which makes me wonder if doing the 'quarter mod' might help the KSC75.

However, concerns with sibilance on the KSC75 have kept me from modding the foam. On certain tracks, the top notes have a sibilant quality on the KSC75 that makes it kinda jarring and abit hard to listen to.

Being an open phone, the KSC75 has a nice open, air sound. It also means that isolation is virtually non-existent and these phones need a quiet environment to sound good. Which makes it useless in public transport, which is why I bought the K81...

MX500

In comparison, there is no bass, no highs... but by itself, the bass and highs are actually pretty good for an earbud. The MX500 really shines in mids, making it excellent for vocals. It's also more efficient than the above 2 phones...

Edited by kehyi

It's especially useful in my office :P

I can attest to that too. My girlfriend gets really pissed off when I'm listening to them and I can only see her lips moving when she's standing right in front of me and talking.