ekka1968

MS-PRO V.S. STAX

I had encountered a friendly service from Kingsley too, albeit ending up with only a stax cover from them. :blush:

Just last week visited them again to order the PS Audio GCHA, and deposited an amount for it as they do not keep stock for the headamp. I felt ok for their service, even though a guy mistakenly wrote me as 'Mr' instead of 'Miss' :doh:

Ok, enough for the Kingsley OT.

Well maybe it was his bad day or just the way I spoke. OK I'll go down soon to pay a deposit for my pads if he can quote me a reasonable price.

:cans:

I guess at the end of the day, we as consumers plays a part in the service we receive as well. If we want people to be polite to us, we should be polite to them as well. As for auditioning of equipment, I find it really helpful to give the vendor or the shop a call to make an appointment. This helps them to plan their time and devote more time to you. On ocassions, the shop maybe having some "big customer" coming for an audition. As the salesman, you would definately want to close the bigger deal. I am pretty sure, everyone would have the same piority.

Ok then... :b2t

Edited by lengcm

Hi...there

just really want to know

MS-PRO compared with STAX 4040A :cans::cans:

which one's value for investment ? :thumbup::thumbup:

Choo chooo chooooo....moving back on track, I would say it depends on your favored genre. If its mostly classical, I would prefer the Stax. On the plus side, you would be paying for a system (amp inclusive) if you don't already have one.

Hi...there

just really want to know

MS-PRO compared with STAX 4040A :cans::cans:

which one's value for investment ? :thumbup::thumbup:

Hi Ekka,

My -2ct would be as follows:

Price

Ms-pro should be at around $1100-$1200 while Stax 4040(amp + hp) should be around $2600-$2700.

Sonic

Ms-pro should be fast n forward n into your face type but not as bright as grado. Thus it's quite even and controlled.

Stax should be fast n spacious, good headstage(tall, deep and wide), quite haunting if you have records that play with placement and it got no lack of bass.

Value

They are of different flavour. Both justifies their price tags, thus it's up to your budget.

:yes:

Thanks for every comments

if I lower series to SR-404 + 313 ( evil-zen :rolleyes: recommended )

price should be around MS-PRO

How about this....?

:cans::cans::cans:

Hmm...I dont know what to think of the service/non-service you got. I have bought things from Kingsley in the past - records, tubes, asked them to make a Din to rca cable for my turntable using VDH and no issues. Even when I walked in for the first time to buy some tubes they offered reasonable professional service. Often it's not what you say but how you say it that affects people - maybe that's what happened. Sorry to hear about you bad experience. If you are really unhappy then just order the pads from audiocubes.

I just want to clarify that I was gentlemanly in every way I could be. He was also very gentleman when he speaks. Maybe my term "farting" was too strong but I from the way we conversed, I sensed that he didn't believe most of the things I said. And I was there on a weekday afternoon so the shop was empty.

Ok. Between the MS Pro and the Stax lambda series, Charismatic touched on most of the major points. As I have a 303, maybe I can emphasise more of it.

Stax, due to the very thin membrane, moves very very fast. As such, they are highly detailed, being able to respond to signals much faster. Perfect if you are a detailed freak. Cymbals sounds the most realistic on a pair of electrostatic due to the same reason. Somehow electrostatics portray cymbals in a way that dynamics couldn't.

Bass is extremely fast and taut. However, it loses to MS Pro in terms of bass impact. I feel that soundstage also contributes to bass. The lambdas, having a much larger soundstage than the MS Pro, diffuses the bass over a much larger area thus appearing to lose impact. It still extends as deep or maybe even deeper than the MS pro but the impact is lesser.

Sibilance is hardly a problem unless the recording has them in spades. Somehow electrostatics are less fatiguing than dynamics and I couldn't find the reason why.

To summarise, get the Alessandros if you listen to plenty of rock. For most of other genres, I might prefer the lambdas. Of course, their tonal balance is wildly different from one another so I suggest you try them out first.

The difference between the 303 vs 404 is reportedly the cables. Technical specifications are exactly the same, the drivers look the same internally. The only visible difference are the better cables on 404 as well as the colour. I didn't manage to compare the 404 vs 303 on the same amp as I lent it to a friend for an extended period. Maybe a Classic System can offer much of the same sound for much less. A review on 6moons says that the Signature and Classic system sound almost exactly alike. Weird but true.

Please try them before buying seriously. A few K is a lot to spend without auditioning.

Oh and 1000 posts. :cans:

Edited by evil-zen