theobservatory.

Anyone builds DIY amps and DACs to order?

Some things I don't quite understand about the configuration selection yet.

The best configuration would be a floating regulator with virtual ground right? If that's the case, can I still power it using USB or will I have to supply an external power supply?

Some things I don't quite understand about the configuration selection yet.

The best configuration would be a floating regulator with virtual ground right? If that's the case, can I still power it using USB or will I have to supply an external power supply?

I am no expert but this is what I know. There is no best configuration, it depends on how you want to power the DAC. There are 4 options:

1. Unregulated from the USB

2. Regulated from the USB

3. From a power supply

4. From a headphone amplifier.

For option 1, you won't need IC3 and IC4. Option 2 means you won't need IC4, everything else is required. For option 4, you will need all, IC2, IC3 and IC4. I am not sure re: option 3.

The config you talked about seems to be option 4. The IC4 is required because headphone amps normally use a virtual ground and the DAC doesn't.

I used option 2 which is what most people are using. FYI - the IC2 and IC3 are hard to find.

I see. Thanks for clearing it up for me. Yes IC3 is hard to get however Farnell carries IC2. I've managed to sourced IC1-3 so I'll probably build configuration 2. Digikey seems to send to SG too.