Sign in to follow this  
Fizban

Simple, cheap but good?

Hi guys.

I'm looking out for a simple to set up, inexpensive but good home system.

Was looking at tivoli's offer of music system, of radio cum cd player, but the concern is that tivoli has great radio but cdp wise...not much to be said?

Then there is marantz, but needs additional speakers and amplifier right? And i have NO IDEA about speakers or amplifier selection/combination.

And then there's Rotel which i heard is pretty good and all. But there comes the problem of speaker/amplifier selection again...

I know the advice would probably be to go listen for myself but time constraints from work really keeps me away and i wouldnt want to go thru the hassle of going from place to place to listen to stuff and not buying from MOST of them resulting in much unhappiness from the shop keepers.

Lots of concerns yeah...

Oh then i also learnt of the Denon S-301 home theatre set...is it any good? Seems to me to be a one-stop centre for all my needs! But havent heard much of it from anywhere on the net.

Thanks for reading this guys.

Pls help!

Google Sonic Impact amp for details. I've got one hooked up to a high sensitivity speaker with excellent result. All cables are DIY from LHS.

I second laukinkon. I have built an amp similar to the Sonic amp and the sound is excellent. Mine (amp5 from 41Hz) has more power than the Sonic, so can drive normal speakers.

Oh...

then what about the other parts of the system?

Cdp and speakers leh?

I can recommend Marantz CD players or you can get a used NAD CD player in SL Sq. The used NAD goes for about $300.

Speakers is a problem, as I am out of the market for speakers for decades. One idea may be to pay a visit to Martin Electronics to listen to their self-made speakers ($550). Or buy a kit ($380) from AhFart Audio and make your own speakers. This same speaker also sold ready made for $600+.

Actually, complete systems very dependent on room acoustics, equipment matching and the listener's taste. So very hard to give advice.

You can even hookup a USB DAC to your PC as source. Less than $200 from Jaben - decent sounding i/c included.

How about a Rotel cdp?

And how does teh NAD sound?

What about for amplifier?

As for speakers, will Aego-M suffice?

You can google both the Marantz CD player and similarly the NAD to find out opinions about them. There should be lots out there. I have a Marantz CDP and think it is adequate for your setup.

For amplifiers, someone has suggested the Sonic T-Amp which is a good choice for off the shelf solution. If you want to DIY, then get a similar type amp kit from 41Hz to build. I have no personal experience with the Aego-M speakers.

So now that i own set of Aego-Ms, will they be good enough for a marantz cdp?

Is it advisable to get a marantz amp as well?

Where can i buy the philips 963SA and how much?

Reviews seem to say it beat even entry-level marantz cdp

Pretty tough getting a new set now ....

Do you know that it was designed in Singapore ? :DD