Kenshino

Eartips for UM1?

I'm looking to change the default foam eartips for my UM1 because well, I don't like the colour and they don't provide the kind of isolation I need.

I read a review on the different eartips and have singled out three of them.

Etymotic Research triflange - Used on UM1/2 & ER•6i (Converted to biflange)

ER’s triflange have no stem but it is softer and more comfortable than Shure’s. Sound wise, when compared to the Shure’s, there is no difference. You need a stem to mount it onto a Westone. So I used the snipped off top flange as a stem.

Shure triflange – Used on UM1/2 (Converted to biflange)

As above, the Shure’s are harder and have a stem. Makes mounting them easier but they’re more uncomfortable for me. Shure and ER’s converted biflange gave me the most isolation besides the Standard Complys. They also sound the best.

Shure grey flex - Used on UM1/2 & ER•6i

These are mono flange tips. Very similar to those cheaper in-ears’ tips. I use them (With its stem shortened) on my ER6i as they’re more comfortable than the biflanges and provides the same SQ. These work very well for the Westone as well. They can be as good as a biflange, sound wise and isolation wise.

Anyone has got experiences with the eartips? How hard will the modding be?

Still thinking of what to buy, please help! Thanks!

Edited by Kenshino

Modding the shure tri-flange is just a couple snips of the scissors. My fav tip so far.

Hmm didn't know that the eartips are available for testing as well, seems like I will have to go down to SE and test them out. Hopefully Aron would mod it for me

they did.. if u consider comfort and quality, go for grey flex (IMO).. biflange and triflange mayb too uncomfortable to wear..

Is this from personal experience?

they did.. if u consider comfort and quality, go for grey flex (IMO).. biflange and triflange mayb too uncomfortable to wear..

Heh... is the direct opposite for me. I tried the grey flexes for a few of days when I first got my um1. Too hard and creates uncomfy air pressure in my ears no matter how I adjust. I've stuck with modded biflange and complys since then. Only take out the grey soft flex when lend to other ppl to try. :innocent::whistle:

Comfort - Ultra Soft Shure Flanges (grey ones)

Durability - Clear Flex (Hard, transparent ones)

Isolation - Tri-flanges

Comfort + Isolation + Ability to hear your heart beating - Long Westone Complys (But it seems that this is the one you don't really like)

I personally loved the tri-flange (unmodded, I've got straight ear canals) for the UM1 for their great isolation and nice sound.

Comfort + Isolation + Ability to hear your heart beating - Long Westone Complys (But it seems that this is the one you don't really like)

I personally loved the tri-flange (unmodded, I've got straight ear canals) for the UM1 for their great isolation and nice sound.

What is the long westone complys? Is it the ones that come together with the UM1 or UM2 package? Those foamy things where you compress them before putting them on?

What is the long westone complys? Is it the ones that come together with the UM1 or UM2 package? Those foamy things where you compress them before putting them on?

Yeah, the supplied tips in the UM1 or UM2 are known as comply tips.

Anyone knows how much for a pair of Shure triflange and a pair of Shure clear flex sleeves?

Not sure abt the TRIflange, I brought a pair of Shure ear tip for my UM1 ( grey color ) @ $6.60 from SE :) . SE also have the BiFlange (dualFlange?) for um1 as well :)

Edited by Luminez

Anyone knows how much for a pair of Shure triflange and a pair of Shure clear flex sleeves?

Shure Tri-flange is $16 a pair, for UM1 or UM2, it usually have to be cut to a bi-flange.

Not sure abt the TRIflange, I brought a pair of Shure ear tip for my UM1 ( grey color ) @ $6.60 from SE :) . SE also have the BiFlange (dualFlange?) for um1 as well :)

I know who you are liao, you're the one who say you're never coming back to spend more money but still came back two days later. lol

I got the Shure triflange for S$11 (Jaben) .