Sign in to follow this  
mrhobbit

amp needed?

using ath fc7 cans now,source is sony NW-E507. and reading this forum, i kinda got abit "gian" on amps :))

any idea if using an amp will significantly improve the music quality through the cans? or is the cans too lousy? :no:

also read about past threads about more newbie amps such as crossroads and the PA2V2, are these worth their buck for their bang? cause i think i wanna start out small, get some ideas of what these are about before going for an audition, so as not to embarass myself totally!!! :blush:

and also quite a bit about interconnects that i dont understand. what kind of interconnect should i get if i want a brighter sound and a tighter bass?cause to my ears, the FC7 sound abit too dark for my liking, even though the bass is decent,the cymbal crashes(i listen to rock n roll) sound abit dull

enlighten me!!! :helpsmilie:

Also gonna get an amp soon! I can't answer your other questions, but I do know that for a brighter sound, silver or silver-coated copper cables should do the trick. Best is you go down to Jaben or SE to audition amps and IC combos with your source and cans so you can hear what works best for you. Jaben has the Go-Vibe v5 and crossroad, SE has Xenos.

Own a close relative of the FC7, (HQ1700) and feel that it is too bassy. If you are going to get amps (though not sure if it is necessary, given that it has rather low impedance rating), get those which are brighter, rather than those like the PA2V2.

Actually, most amps will cost almost the same or more than your headphones, and it would make more sense (in terms of how much the sound is improved) to sell your HQ1700 and buy another headphone with the money plus the money from the amp.

Just my personal opinions though. :D

I doubt you need an amp for portable listening on such a low impedance headphone. The source should be okay, especially if you intend to upgrade to IEMs in the future.