Sign in to follow this  
destiny_92

Microsoft Zune

Hi guys. Newbie here again with tons of questions.

Eh when will the Zune come to singapore?

What is the estimated price?

****Will it be able to win Ipod in terms of sound quality?(most important question)

Anyone has it already? i mean like u fly to america to buy it...

Thanks You!!!

It may not even arrive in Singapore. There's one thread on headfi which links to another article quoting one microsoft executive saying that US will be the main market and entry to the other markets may be considered.

Mid-2007 for Europe, so Asia? Probably 2008 or never, since we are either too Creative or Apple. Hard for a fight, even Samsung and other market player like Cowon and iRiver can't get in for a fight.

Sound quality, theres many issue from the reviews on the web now, regarding DRM, the wifi-sending limited 3 plays in 3 days, limited music/video content, unresponsive interface, heavy and huge, same capacity with 30GB iPod with Video yet heavier and bulkier.

Perhaps the worst of all, its available colours just simply don't work. Dark brown?

I personally like the brown... :P

Seriously though, ipods face some of the DRM issues such as not being able to transfer tracks out (other than through some special means).

The wifi-songs-sharing is rather interesting, but definitely facing too many constrains. It's sure that you should get to keep a song that you didn't buy for a long period of time. However, your self-created track will also expire in 3 days or 3 plays. This, however, is due to another limitation. How would the DAP know which is self-created and which isn't? If all CDs come with some weird DRM to identify that the tracks are "professionally-made", it'd be a horrible situation which would affect everyone else who doesn't own a Zune.

Eh, I'm not interested in the Zune. I'll still wait for the next-gen iPod and probably the iPhone. But then again, I do own several Macs...

the zune is a joke. a big one. its gonna fry and flop like how napster did. someone please write rockbox for the zune or it'll be a useless POS. :D drm sucks. well... to each his own.

peace (and good luck) to zune lovers (or future buyers of the zune.)

the zune is a joke. a big one. its gonna fry and flop like how napster did. someone please write rockbox for the zune or it'll be a useless POS. :D drm sucks. well... to each his own.

peace (and good luck) to zune lovers (or future buyers of the zune.)

Rockbox for Zune? Lol. Probably 3~4 years later.

but from what i have read from the paper,it was stated that the price for Zune would not be exceeding SGD400.

As a comparison of 30gb media players,Zune costs cheaper than Creative Zen Vision M and on par with Ipod 5th gen IMO.

and the 'auto deletion' of songs which plays 3 times or more than 3 days,that is a minus point.

but i must say that the screen is quite big.

well for memory to price ratio its okay. but did you know you can't use it as a external hard-disk? DRM feature sucks too.... big screen? i want good audio, i don't care if its a black and white :P the ipod mini is better! :P

Erm... Let's not forget that this was made for the mass-market, which doesn't really care about smaller details such as the DRM vs UMS issue, etc.

Guest joi-ful

Zune might be popular among tech geeks... -.-

Personally, I don't believe in paying for things I don't need. So I'm happy with my iPod 5G and Shuffle 1st gen. C'mon... for those who own players with voice recorders, how many times have you use it, if at all?

Zune might be popular among tech geeks... -.-

Personally, I don't believe in paying for things I don't need. So I'm happy with my iPod 5G and Shuffle 1st gen. C'mon... for those who own players with voice recorders, how many times have you use it, if at all?

I need a voice recorder most of the time, recording down sudden ideas or speeches, thats essential to me, but I don't want my audio player to do that, I prefer a dedicated device for that sort of work. Zune is quite a disaster really, even at this stage. The unworthy design, the exceptionally unnecessary big screen; Zune have limited video playability, so that again, render it useless.

Above all, its heavier, bigger and much an eye sore compared to iPod. Lol. That alone, no way man. Perhaps we should watch out for its second generation, if theres any.

Guest joi-ful

^

Second-ed, though I think the Zune looks kinda neat. haha.

Voice recorder really sucks on a DAP. As for FM radio, so far only iriver has been able to implement this function well.