Sign in to follow this  
NCMK

Help! MS1 Or AKG K81DJ

Hi mates, i'm going to plunge my money on a set of headphones. I listen to mainly pop, Rnb and vocal music. Wonder which headphones will suit me better. Please give me some advice. Thanks.

Have you tried both? I'll suggest going to SE since they carry both models. I haven't tried the K81 but I like my MS1. Thinking of testing the K81 soon.

BTW, you're intending to ues the phones in which situation? Home or outside? If you're going to use it outside, probably the K81 insulation might make a better choice. If at home, both models should do well depending on tastes.

Have you tried both? I'll suggest going to SE since they carry both models. I haven't tried the K81 but I like my MS1. Thinking of testing the K81 soon.

BTW, you're intending to ues the phones in which situation? Home or outside? If you're going to use it outside, probably the K81 insulation might make a better choice. If at home, both models should do well depending on tastes.

I feel RNB & POP sounds better in AKG81DJ as the bass are more slamming & fuller, depending on your tastes of music. MS1 sounds more airy to me being its open hence, due to sound leaks, bass are not as tight.

At the same time, if you're bringing it out, AKG81DJ better choice as its obvious, there's not much isolation you can get from MS1. Though, I personally feel they sound very good at night since everything quiets down..

Just my 2 cents worth! Good luck in finding your headphones! :cans:

I feel RNB & POP sounds better in AKG81DJ as the bass are more slamming & fuller, depending on your tastes of music. MS1 sounds more airy to me being its open hence, due to sound leaks, bass are not as tight.

At the same time, if you're bringing it out, AKG81DJ better choice as its obvious, there's not much isolation you can get from MS1. Though, I personally feel they sound very good at night since everything quiets down..

Just my 2 cents worth! Good luck in finding your headphones! :cans:

I agree completely. K81dj is even better with drum n bass music. The impact can blow you away. The one thing I feel MS1 does better is in the airness of the sound, oh, and the comfort too.

wah...very hard to make a decision leh....how much are the k81dj going for now? Im worried that it wont be comfortable to wear the k81dj since many ppl at headfi are complaining abt it plus the boominess.

Actually, after burn in and removing the pads, there's no boominess in the k81dj at all. Bass is still strong, but fast and tight. If you don't need the isolation at all and don't plan to use it outdoors then by all means get the ms1. Its more comfy, airy, and you can swap pads to get the sound you like. There's only a $50 price difference. I think it boils down to what you need, since the sound signature is very alike between these two, only the open and closed designs and its implications that make the difference.

Guest joi-ful

IMO, the AKG K81DJ can't even touch the SR60.

The sound signature is totally different. I say the Grado's are much superior.

No offense but if the K81DJ suits your musical tastes, then good for you. My friends who got the K81DJ instead of the Grado's got them only because of the isolation factor, and to a lesser extent, price.

Decide for yourself wad purposes your cans are going to serve and decide accordingly.

IMO, the AKG K81DJ can't even touch the SR60.

The sound signature is totally different. I say the Grado's are much superior.

Decide for yourself wad purposes your cans are going to serve and decide accordingly.

Correct. Akg 81's aren't superior to the MS1 either, but when you are using it as portables during your transit, that the AKG wins hands down for isolation and listenability at noisy places for under $120.

Thanks guys for your valuable advice. Guess my mind is settled for MS1 liao. Any other good headphones to recommend under $180?

I'm biased towards k81 myself :P, but that's cuz I own one. I've listened to both for some time, and I think both sound similiar, just that one has more bass, the other is airy. One is closed for good isolation, the other is very light and comfy for home use.

Admittedly, I've recabled my k81 with canare to bring it closer to ms1's details and treble without losing the kickin' bass.

I'm biased towards k81 myself :P, but that's cuz I own one. I've listened to both for some time, and I think both sound similiar, just that one has more bass, the other is airy. One is closed for good isolation, the other is very light and comfy for home use.

Admittedly, I've recabled my k81 with canare to bring it closer to ms1's details and treble without losing the kickin' bass.

Just got my MS1. Thanks all for your advice. Enjoying them now. :party: