Sign in to follow this  
heady

Bookshelf speakers

Gahman,

Could you explain how you come to know this? Know anything else anyone cloned?

I'm particularly interested in clones of dynaudio drivers, Lynx soundcards and other very expensive audio gear :D

I did a lot of research on active monitors and this is what I have found out, there was an official announcement from ESI advising consumers not to purchase the M-Audio actives because... they are copies, how? Same factory in China.

I have to say that studio monitors are great because of their flat frequency response, which means you hear a close image of what the original audio engineer had in mind when the mix was done.

For a better bass frequency, get a good sub-woofer as most studio monitors only represent 30Hz to 18KHz of frequencies. althought 20Hz-30Hz is hard to hear, it still affects the warmth and body of the music. It's more felt than heard.

For more information, visit the "sound on sound" website and check out their monitor reviews. So far they really like the Blue Sky range of 2.1 systems.

I tried one of the Genelecs (can't remember which, smallish one) - it sounds just like a studio monitor should - accurate and flat, which might be too "boring" for general music listening. :P

Regards

CK

Thanks CK. Decisions, decisions, decisions........ :rclxub:

Heard the ESI NEar 5 at Jaben today. Not so good place to audition speakers as it is cramped full of customers trying out the CK9. Good business lah, Uncle Wilson is doing ok, so all his fanboys shouldn't be so uptight.

The speakers were placed on top of other speakers including the huge floor standing speakers. The source was a Marantz CD player through a headphone amp as active preamp. The sound wasn't too bad especially since the headphone amp uses tubes, probably added some warmth to the sound.

The speakers sounded definitely better than M-Audios of the same price range. Better clarity, better imaging and less noise. Perhaps a little less detail than the KRK v4 but then the KRK cost twice as much, for that little bit of improvement.

Wilson generously offered me home audition but I had to turn him down as going on hols next week. Maybe when I am back. Good one Wilson. Man, your place is chock-a-block with stuff and people.

We had a laugh at your expense for leaving the showroom in the care of us two customers when you had to leave for a while. Man, the level of your trust is astounding. :))

Seeing that this thread is so popular before, I would like to use it to ask questions myself.

I plan to pair a pair of bookshelves with my NAD 3020i. My budget is <SGD$500 and I'm currently looking at the Mission 32i, the bigger brother of 31i :P. They pair quite well witht the NAD and has a more easy listening feel to it, warm and laid back. I'm looking for a general pair which can handle most genres of music from rock to classical, from orchestras to simple acoustics. The 32i is quite good for most genres but could use a slight improvement in terms of clarity.

Thks.

Seeing that this thread is so popular before, I would like to use it to ask questions myself.

I plan to pair a pair of bookshelves with my NAD 3020i. My budget is <SGD$500 and I'm currently looking at the Mission 32i, the bigger brother of 31i :P. They pair quite well witht the NAD and has a more easy listening feel to it, warm and laid back. I'm looking for a general pair which can handle most genres of music from rock to classical, from orchestras to simple acoustics. The 32i is quite good for most genres but could use a slight improvement in terms of clarity.

Thks.

Give the Usher S-520 a try. It is within your budget. Clarity is excellent.

Regards

CK

Hi, any one would like to recommend their fav bookshelf speakers, suitable for bedroom, either active or passive? Budget is below S$1000 but prefer to be about S$500+.

Go listen to the Pioneer Pure Malt Speakers.

I've handcarry 1 set back from Japan. Its so nice and sweet sounding.

Its made of 50-100yr old whisker barrels.

Put it on a good nice stand. Its so much better then most others.

If you've been to the Audio Shows in the region, you will not be missing these speakers.

Rgds

Can you believe what I did? I didn't have time to go to Jaben's for Wilson's kind offer to home audition the nEar speakers. Saw this little pair of computer speakers at SL SQ when I had to collect some computers and since it was a clearance sale, I bought it. My wife seems to be happy with it, since it cost less than S$50. :P

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=6927

Thks.

I heard a lot of negative feedback about the newer range of Mission. Personally I am a Mission fan - I have 2 pair of bookshelfs (a very old 700.2 and 780SE), a floorstander (733) and a center speaker (77c1) - but I've heard complaints about the reliability, as well as the more laid-back sound of their new speakers. I would go for their older models - try searching the local forums like xtremeplace, or echoloft. Or if you're looking for new ones, maybe try other brands. The newer Mordaunt-Short, and Wharfedale sounds pretty good.

Hi Guys...

Just joined this forum.

I am looking at a Gallos Necleus Mirco speakers (5.1) for home Theatre.

Pairing with with a Denon 1507.

Pls help with any advise... it kinda ex, so i would like to make sure it's worthy.

Thank you so much :)

BR