Sign in to follow this  
Stereo_Electronics

Tips for the perfect Earmould

Just some tips to share if you're planning to make your own earmould, to avoid sending them back for a re-make.

- Make your ear impression from a certified audiologist.

Reason: Audiologist would know how a ear impression should be done, that will ensure your final earmould to be comfortable.

- Check from the IEM company what kind of ear impression should you be doing. ( close jaw or open jaw )

Reason: To ensure you get the best fit/isolation based on the IEM design.

- Send your ear impressions to the dealer as soon as possible, preferrably on the same day.

Reason: Ear impressions will usually stay accurate within a month, so if you are planning to MO custom earmoulds together, make sure everyone do the impressions together around the same time. The impressions are usually shipped on the same day if not the next working day, depending on the mode of shipping, they usually reach the lab between 3 - 10days.

Usually companies like Westone would take less than 3 working days to complete your custom earmould, and another 4 - 5 days to ship back to you.

So if you chose express shipping, the whole process should take less than 2 weeks and about 4 weeks for non-express.

Just some tips to share if you're planning to make your own earmould, to avoid sending them back for a re-make.

- Make your ear impression from a certified audiologist.

- The impressions are usually shipped on the same day if not the next working day, depending on the mode of shipping, they usually reach the lab between 3 - 10days.[/i]

Usually companies like Westone would take less than 3 working days to complete your custom earmould, and another 4 - 5 days to ship back to you.

So if you chose express shipping, the whole process should take less than 2 weeks and about 4 weeks for non-express.

And I guess "Simon" did not request for these that you were kind enough to share with us?

I also suppose you do not have any agenda behind the above points made.

:yes::yes::yes:

on hindsight, I guess its a lot of assumptions being made on my side, but I guess your posts tend to cause just that.

Edited by Morpheus

I don't want to start a flame war again of the shop X vs shop Y. So please don't attribute any intentions to me.

I myself am not particularly happy of this forum posts being dominated by only one shop. But being a professional user of silicone impression materials for the last 20+ years, I must say that Stereo is generally correct in his statements. If you want to diy the impressions or have it done by a non-professional, it is your call.

Do note that taking impressions for hearing aids should be illegal for non-professionals. Taking impressions for headphones is probably not covered by this law, so I guess anyone is free to do anything to their ears. :P

Here is a tip for diyers. Put the impression immediately in a plastic ziplock bag, lock it and keep it cool (as in not hot, not fridge or freezer cold). Silicone impressions distort when they dry out but don't soak them in water either because they will absorb water and distort.

It is ok to keep impressions for a day or two before sending. Ear impressions don't even have 10 percent of the accuracy required in my application and I send my impressions to the lab usually the next day but sometimes up to 3 days later.

Actually all these precautions are just being kiasu because in the past, silicone wasn't so stable as they are today. But don't keep your impressions for a month before sending them in. That may be asking a bit too much. <_>

Edited by heady

I don't want to start a flame war again of the shop X vs shop Y. So please don't attribute any intentions to me.

I myself am not particularly happy of this forum posts being dominated by only one shop. But being a professional user of silicone impression materials for the last 20+ years, I must say that Stereo is generally correct in his statements. If you want to diy the impressions or have it done by a non-professional, it is your call.

Do note that taking impressions for hearing aids should be illegal for non-professionals. Taking impressions for headphones is probably not covered by this law, so I guess anyone is free to do anything to their ears. :P

Here is a tip for diyers. Put the impression immediately in a plastic ziplock bag, lock it and keep it cool (as in not hot, not fridge or freezer cold). Silicone impressions distort when they dry out but don't soak them in water either because they will absorb water and distort.

It is ok to keep impressions for a day or two before sending. Ear impressions don't even have 10 percent of the accuracy required in my application and I send my impressions to the lab usually the next day but sometimes up to 3 days later.

Actually all these precautions are just being kiasu because in the past, silicone wasn't so stable as they are today. But don't keep your impressions for a month before sending them in. That may be asking a bit too much. <_<

We need more of such productive contribution. :))

Found good reading from Google about ear impression. As a 1/2 chemist I'm particularly interested in the impression material (silicon)

http://www.audiologyonline.com/articles/ar...&article_id=336

For the chemist - search for "addition reaction polysilicone dental impression material". This is the most stable and yet flexible impression material. Have fun :))

Your link was a very interesting read. Fact is, it is not easy to take an impression of the ear. It is not just a matter of syringing the material in. You need to know if the silicone will flow too deep and touch the ear drum. You also need to know when to remove it. If you remove silicone too early, it will distort.

BTW - while I do impressions, I don't do ear impressions, so please don't ask me to do it. :grin:

Edited by heady

And I guess "Simon" did not request for these that you were kind enough to share with us?

I also suppose you do not have any agenda behind the above points made.

:yes::yes::yes:

on hindsight, I guess its a lot of assumptions being made on my side, but I guess your posts tend to cause just that.

Yah

and this is from the westone website:

Jaben Networks

Westone Elite Series and Universal Series in-ear musicians monitors.

1 Coleman Street

04-16 The Adelphi

Singapore 179803

Tel: (+65) 6337 0809

E-mail: Adelphi@jaben.net

web: http://www.jaben.net/

Stereo Electronics, LTD

Westone Universal Series in-ear musicians monitors.

Stereo Electronics, LTD

1 Woodlands Square #04-08

Causway Point

Singapore 738099

Tel: 65 6894 3601

Fax: 65 6894 0326

Is SE not a customs certified dealer or is the website just not updated?

Edited by jdimitri

Yah

and this is from the westone website:

Jaben Networks

Westone Elite Series and Universal Series in-ear musicians monitors.

1 Coleman Street

04-16 The Adelphi

Singapore 179803

Tel: (+65) 6337 0809

E-mail: Adelphi@jaben.net

web: http://www.jaben.net/

Stereo Electronics, LTD

Westone Universal Series in-ear musicians monitors.

Stereo Electronics, LTD

1 Woodlands Square #04-08

Causway Point

Singapore 738099

Tel: 65 6894 3601

Fax: 65 6894 0326

Is SE not a customs certified dealer or is the website just not updated?

Westone will be changing their website by end of the year.

Anyway, wouldn't be too difficult to e-mail Doug of Westone to check. B)