Sign in to follow this  
ablaze

Gilmore lite GAIN setting

No, because I was a little bit weary and unsure about this PSU issue, my preferrences with audio equipment with external PSU is as you would say very particular. I'll give this product a miss until Headamp.com comes up with a solution for our 230v mains. unsure.gif

there's still a chance to cancel the pre-order and get a refund as long as it hasn't shipped what. yeah.gif

I have a step up / down transformer to simulate this the best that I can, and I havent found using a step down transformer to increase noise at all. I think that may just be speculation, have you had a problem with that in the past?

1) Cardas RCAs?

Nope. The Gilmore Lite uses the same RCA jacks as the V1 and V2, they aren't made by Cardas but are just as nice and not insanely priced.

2) Volume pot - ??

Volume pot is the Panasonic often used in META42

3) Neutrik non-locking circuit mount headphone jack?

Non-locking chassis mount jack, same as in Gilmore V2

4) Vishay-Dale resistors.

Yes, just like the V1 and V2

antness,

so other than

enclosure,

pot,

different input/output ie. the 'lite' has only one input and one output,

what other differences are there from the V2?

(excluding the power supply side of course)

I have a step up / down transformer to simulate this the best that I can, and I havent found using a step down transformer to increase noise at all. I think that may just be speculation, have you had a problem with that in the past?

Justin, yes I had problems pertaining to PSU issues before with other products. yes.gif

One thing Ive decided to do is to lower the default gain on the Lite to 5, unless asked otherwise. This is because, as Rameish pointed out, the imbalance in the pot.

antness,

Can a gain of 5 drive the AKG501 and HD600 well?

How about a gain of 8? I'm comfortable with that number biggrin.gif

Antness mentioned he's fine with selling the gilmore lite w/o the ELPAC PS.

I personally find it cumbersome to use a step down into a 120V ELPAC. I'd rather use it with sealed lead acid batteries and charger. Should be quite maintenance free.

I personally find it cumbersome to use a step down into a 120V ELPAC. I'd rather use it with sealed lead acid batteries and charger. Should be quite maintenance free.

The Gilmore needs + & - 15V or so. You'll need to make a simple voltage splitter circuit if you want to use batteries. Nearest would be splitting a 24V battery (2X12V battery)into +&- 12V.

eric, if you want the gilmore without the elpac, you gotta tell me so I can officially change the order. cos by default it'll come with the elpac. same goes for the gain setting. by default it'll be 5.

Are you guys getting the ELPAC despite antness not being able to procure the 240V version?

I am just wondering if there is another equally good PS that's available locally. (Do tell if anyone knows)

As for batteries.. antness suggested using 24xAA batteries. I was thinking the gilmore lite is able to take from 15V to a little more than 24V