Sign in to follow this  
ablaze

Gilmore lite GAIN setting

hi guys,

the default is 10 for the Gilmore lite.

and my CD3000s are THE most efficient phones I've heard. probably at least on par with the Grados.

Impedance 32 ohms

Sensitivity 104 dB/mW

what gain setting should I get? I'm thinking of lowering it to 6-7. now SACD lover on head-fi's saying he using a gain of 1 with his V2SE and his SR-225..

what do you all think?

and for those who're ordering with me, does anyone want the default gain lowered?

personally, I found that the gain is too high for my v2 with a cdp. with my beyers, i normally listen at 8. with cd3000, i think it was about 6.30.

I'm not sure if revo has the same output level as a cdp though and i assumed that the gain level for v2 and lite is the same level of 10.

Maybe it would be a good idea to ask Justin for his comments since he's the one building it.

I need to use it with a wide variety of headphones so I don't want the gain too low either. Based on experience with my amps, I'd expect the Beyer DT880's & AKG K-501 will require a high volume level setting.

Basically all carbon pots have some imbalance - yes even the Alps Blue or Black - at low volumes. The best balance is acheived somewhere between 9:30 and 2:30 on a clock face where 7:00 is no volume and 5:00 is max volume.

Ablaze, gain setting of 6 should be safe (esp if you decide to change headphones). Please note I have taken into account that I listen at volumes lower than you and the senn of the Sony.

Best to ask Antness to confirm.

The current gain on the Gilmore V2 I've heard with the Senn HD600 and AKG501 is fine for me. No change for me please.

pipee, noted.

zen, wah. so on your v2 you were listening at 6:30 position (with 6 o'clock position being off?) with my CD3Ks?

N@Z, thats the thing: I don't want to set it too low, in case an opportunity arises where I use a different pair of cans on it. or perhaps if I sell it to someone using HD600s wink.gif

Rameish, thanks. I'm leaning toward a gain of 6 too.

I have your concern too ablaze as I like to use a wide range of headphones.

happen to be using comp setup now so decided to test the gain levels.

testing out revo with v2 amp at default gain level using kernel streaming. i think revo outputs the same level as a normal cd player at max volume since i'm listening at roughly the same point on the volume pot.

I adjusted the amp until it is at my normal listening point. Max and middle is from the windows volume control.

CD1700

Max Volume: 7 O'clock

Midddle: 8 O'clock

Beyer 880

Max Volume: 8.30 O'clock

Midddle: 10 O'clock

Etys

Far away from home. lol.gif

Hey,

One thing Ive decided to do is to lower the default gain on the Lite to 5, unless asked otherwise. This is because, as Rameish pointed out, the imbalance in the pot. The Alps blue is a good pot, and doesnt have much imbalance, however the smaller cheaper pot in the Gilmore Lite does have more imbalance in the lower range as would be expected. Since most people even with high-impedance headphones don't venture far past 11 o'clock, lowering the gain should allow you to turn the volume up into the balanced range of the pot on the Lite.

I'm sending out several Lites to Singapore; perhaps ablaze would like me to send a few with low gains and a few with high gains.

-Justin

Antness/Justin,

Since you have the Grado HP-2 and a Senn HD-600, would you say that at normal listening volumes, you need to crank the pot to say 11 o'clock for the Grados and say 1-2 o'clock for the Senn HD-600 if the lite has a gain setting of 5?

Also I recently visited Elpac's website - they do manufacture some AC-DC transformers that can be used for Singapore's and Brunei's 230 volts AC. If you are able to get your hands on them justin, I'm sure many here would appreciate it (even if it costs a little more than US$35).

Guys,

From what justin has just said, then this (gain setting of 5) would be ideal a wide variety of headphones as the DT-880 requires a bit more "juice" than the Senn HD-600 which the current day Grados require a bit less "juice" than the HP-2. The only guy I know who may want a higher gain would be Pipee.

Good luck in your choice of gain and I hope to hear a lite soon for myself :-)

antness,thanks for the reply.

BUT to quote from your link:

http://headamp.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=55

"Hello,

HeadAmp is holding a pre-order sale for the upcoming Gilmore Lite amplifier. Pre-ordered Gilmore Lites will ship in mid-August. This sale will run until July 15. Exterior photos will be available soon.

The Gilmore Lite headphone amplifier is a great way to get the Gilmore sound in a smaller box that can be transported to and from the office, or used in a small system.

Features of the Gilmore Lite include:

- Same amplifier circuit and components as Gilmore V2

- Elpac Wall-Wart power supply

- 2-4mm thickness brushed clear anodized enclosure measuring 4x6x1" (only one inch height!)

- Custom 0.2" thick front panel w/ recessed silver volume knob, red power LED, and engraved text and labeling. Back panel also has engraved text and labeling.

- High-quality gold plated RCA jacks (same as found on Gilmore V2)

- One RCA input / one 1/4" headphone output

The pre-order price is $249.99, with the price increasing to $300 after the sale. Pre-orders can be refunded at any time before the amplifier ships. "

Your page states clearly that its got the same amplifier circuit and components as the V2 which would include the Alps Blue pot on the V2. and now you say that the Gilmore lite has a cheaper pot, thats NOT an alps blue?? That was never mentioned in your spec page for the V2! What pot is it thats being used on the lite? and more importantly now, what other components have been compromised in the lite? You really have to make that clear, since I was under the impression that on the amp side of it, it'd be EXACTLY like the V2, according to your post.

ablaze,

Yes, it is the same amplifier circuit and components. Take a look at the schematics of the amplifier circuit on headamp.com or headwize.com, the volume control isn't shown there. Also, I remember mentioning at some point that the Lite doesn't have the alps blue pot because it can't fit in a small enclosure...correct me if that was something I had said to someone else.

No other components are different than whats in the V2.