voxel

finally I found here :-)

Hi Rameish, I am attilais in head-fi, the one who asked for advice on closed headphones to replace his K501 -- unfortunately I didn't read your reply until this evening... Glad to see so many head-fiers here:-)

Still I am alone with my K501, with a DIY amp received last week. Singapore is really a noisy place, and now I definitely believe that I need closed cans, such as Etys rolleyes.gif However Etys are not portable -- I mean, it will be extremely dangerous wandering with Er4p in the ears... For portable earplugs I have heard something about the A8, does anyone know where it can be found here?

Regards,

voxel

Hi!

Welcome and enjoy your stay here!

Hi Rameish, I am attilais in head-fi, the one who asked for advice on closed headphones to replace his K501 -- unfortunately I didn't read your reply until this evening... Glad to see so many head-fiers here:-)

Still I am alone with my K501, with a DIY amp received last week. Singapore is really a noisy place, and now I definitely believe that I need closed cans, such as Etys rolleyes.gif However Etys are not portable -- I mean, it will be extremely dangerous wandering with Er4p in the ears... For portable earplugs I have heard something about the A8, does anyone know where it can be found here?

Regards,

voxel

etys arent portable? eerr.........in contrast to ur opinion about them, i find them very very portable. Im probably the most "portable" guy that's lurking in the headphones community in sg, i live my headphone life basically only on portability.

party.gif

Yes Singapore is a noisy place LOL. A8? What's that? I'm not too good/up-to-date in that area.

Ety's are portable but I think vox's concern is safety while walking/crossing roads with etys in his ears. Tough call on this. My favourite cheap closed cans are the Sony V6 (aka 7056). They are brighter than the K-501. The Beyer DT-250 (250 ohm) is darker than the K-501 (they are for Senn HD-600 lovers who are looking for a closed can). The Beyer DT-150 is very similar to the AKG K-501 but are really not portable as they come with a 1/4 inch jack and are rather large. Of course sound engineers do use them outdoors. The Beyer DT-831 is also on the brighter side. Which bugs you more - brightness or laidbackness. If it's brightness then go for DT-250. Of course all this would be a non-issue if you go with Etys 4 P. Tough one this.

I tried ER6 and DT880 this afternoon.

I feel like a bottle with ER6 in my ear, "WONG...ing" during I am listening. Don't know how long it will take me to get use to it...

880 is what I am looking for, very comfortable, and the sound is also comfortable. But I won't buy it recently since I am looking for a cassete walkman now.

There are no good walkman in SLS and Courts, however, I found a Philips DCC 130, a digital compact cassette player. Could anyone tell me whether it is better than a normal walkman?

Thanks!

Regards,

Voxel

DCC! Wow, is that format still around? It was Philips' answer to mini-disk. If I were you I'll stay away. DAT might be the way to go - it's still used by studios but it's expensive.

There are no DCC format now. In fact what I need is only a cassette walkman, and the DCC130 can play cassettes, that's all:-)

But walkmans in S'pore market are all quite new models, aiming at power saving and easiness to take. I think they are even worse than md player :-( and I don't like md...

Why don't you consider a PCDP (Portable CD Player)? Since you criteria seem to be on sound quality. BTW the DT880 I believe are not closed headphones.

I have made several comparison between my friend's r707 MD and rq-sx77v walkman. Sound from md are much clearer, but sound from walkman are warm and more enjoyable. With cassette deck and metal tapes I can do much better. Discmans nowadays make little difference from md, such as the iMP400 which I have bought for a friend.

anyway, just personal taste:-)

I agree on the quality from Metal tapes but you'll need a really good (read: expensive) walkman to do it real justice. I remember my Sony Walkman Pro... ahh, those were the days. Too bad I didn't know anything about headphones then!

Does Sony still make the ceramic tape guide version of there top end chrome. Stick with chrome tapes. Metal tapes are head eaters and almost 100% of tape walkmans nowadays use the cheap variety.

Hey I ahve a Nakamichi Deck 2 if you're interested and it has 120/240 volt switing at the back. It still works well. Everything is manual though - even the bias adjustment, tape selector, Dolby selector (B, C and off). There's MPX as well.

"those were the days", hehe :-)

To Rameish: yes nearly all my tapes are chrome ones, and what's the model of ur deck?

I have bought the dcc130. It's not really portable, but beat a sony gx654 walkman easily.

Hey I have the Nak Deck 2 too Rameish! But mine's not for sale!!! tongue.gif

It's a full size deck not portable.