Sign in to follow this  
chiatlard

adjusting volume on a amp

hey guys..just got myself a pair of IEMs and a portable amp but the thing is..what is the right way of adjusting volume for the combo?

should i just tune the volume on my samsung k5 or the amp? or shld i just tune them half half?

i think i remember reading somewhere that if adjusting one of them(cant remember) will cause a lack of bass in the listening..

P.S also, what do u guys use to tie amp and the player together? just rubber band? would appreciate any help given :):party:

Edited by chiatlard

Common wisdom is to set digital volume to at least 80% to achieve better resolution, then use analog volume to adjust final level.

I.e. set the volume on your MP3 player to at least 80% (e.g. 32 if it goes from 1 to 40), then use volume on amp to set overall level to cans.

The only exception is sometimes the MP3 volume level at 80% will be too hot for the amp input. You can hear this easily cuz it distorts. In this case lower the volume of MP3 player enough to eliminate the distortion.

Can consider using the kernel stream output using Foobar.... bypasses all those directx stuff.

Think its covered either here or somewhere...

P.S also, what do u guys use to tie amp and the player together? just rubber band? would appreciate any help given :):party:

Velcro strip.

http://shsc.info/foobar2000#titelanker10 <- Some info...google the rest urself.... Just something interesting, thought necessarily needed. Would be useful for controlling volume directly thru amp only.

Hi chiatlard! Hope your enjoying your UM-1's ! B) . The best thing you can do is experiment with the volume with different kinds of music. It depends very much on the bitrate, the recording volume etc. That's why I like my iPod dockadapter. I don't have to worry about the volume of the iPod and a much get better connection. Velcro alone didn't work for me so I'm still using the old elastic band to keep the combo together, covered up with a broad velcro band (from IKEA) for stability. I wish someone came up with a custom bag though :unsure:

Velcro strip.

http://shsc.info/foobar2000#titelanker10 <- Some info...google the rest urself.... Just something interesting, thought necessarily needed. Would be useful for controlling volume directly thru amp only.

Where to get Velcro Strip below ?

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/5071/cinchstrapmedcv9.jpg

I was looking for different thickness. I wanted to use it on my Iriver H340, Super Macro 4.

Thanks.

Edited by Jeremy

hey singapura...still experimenting with the um1s =D...btw how much is ur ikea velcro strap n how does it look like? or anything other velcro strap..for example the one Jeremy posted...

Edited by chiatlard

hey singapura...still experimenting with the um1s =D...btw how much is ur ikea velcro strap n how does it look like? or anything other velcro strap..for example the one Jeremy posted...

I would like to know more about the mentioned velcro straps too

You can get the Velcro Strap from any stationary bookshop & hardware shop. Another name for it is Book Strap.

But the width is too wide ( 2.5 cm ). The one that you mentioned is not for heavy duty. I saw it also at SLT but tying amp & player don't know is it tight enough.

I intend to buy the velcro with a width of 1.5 cm and do 1 myself......

You can get the adjustable velcro straps from Sim Lim Sq Level 3. $4.80 for a pack of 8 of different colors.

Edited by Jeremy

how do i use an amp properly ?

on volume on player to 80% > crank up volume slowly on amp ?

then when i off, all must turn down volume ?