Sign in to follow this  
warsurferX

Buy Locally vs Buy online

Hi everyone

I'm planning to purchase a new pair of headphones and I'm wondering if it's better to buy online or to buy locally. I understand that the higher-end headphones is substantially cheaper buying online, even after including shipping and possibly GST. Comments and suggestions will really be appreciated?

Well obviously if you buy online then using your warranty is going to be expensive and troublesome due to shipping. But since the chances of a pair of headphones spoiling aren't that high (most of the time it's a cable problem, which can be fixed easily and for cheap locally), I'd still buy from overseas.

Buy local: local warranty (greater assurance and peace of mind), able to audition and verify condition of gear yourself

Buy online: cheaper prices

I buy most of my gear (except my source) online as they are not readily or cheaply available locally.

Hello

Thx for the responses. Cheaper is an understatement!

Can I just check with you guys, I called Sennasia recently to ask them about the warranty, as I thought the warranty's international. The staff confirmed it and apparently we can send our cans in if we have proof of the date of purchase. Any ideas??

If that's what they say, then great! Sennheiser is way overpriced in Singapore.

Hi guys

Can I check with you, typically how much would it cost for shipping of a pair of headphones? Do you ship dorect or do you go through vpost?

Depends on where you are getting your headphones from, most of the time, companies prefer to ship only within US, thus having to go via Vpost, however, if the company is willing to ship overseas( most of time it being very costly e.g. 50 USD) you might want to weigh the odds

Overseas shipping is 20-30sgd priority mail from the US, usually. I ordered a Gilmore Lite with DPS and priority shipping came to 40usd though, due to the size and weight.

If that's what they say, then great! Sennheiser is way overpriced in Singapore.

Well sennheiser still not as bad as compared to Grado... Bad customer service too by the oversea agent which dont offer to reply to Email and no intentional warranty. Tat's why i boycott them for the time being until they wake up their ideas

Marc

MARCPKH,

I suggest to go to Grado's local agent - Music BY Design at 2nd Level Adelphi. They are friendly chaps, allow a take your time approach to auditions, and if you dont buy they dont sulk. LOL BTW they tend to leave you alone during auditions - it's not they dont care but rather giving you time to listen and come to your own conclusions. Bring your own CDs.

BTW the new i grados are in try them.

MARCPKH,

I suggest to go to Grado's local agent - Music BY Design at 2nd Level Adelphi. They are friendly chaps, allow a take your time approach to auditions, and if you dont buy they dont sulk. LOL BTW they tend to leave you alone during auditions - it's not they dont care but rather giving you time to listen and come to your own conclusions. Bring your own CDs.

Hi Rameish, i agreed the MBD staffs are friendly and i will go back to get the Grado from them if i decide to own one pair myself.

Well sennheiser still not as bad as compared to Grado... Bad customer service too by the oversea agent which dont offer to reply to Email and no intentional warranty. Tat's why i boycott them for the time being until they wake up their ideas

Marc

I believe Grado's aren't that overpriced in Singapore because Grado imposes strict price controls on their products worldwide. In fact, you aren't supposed to get them from anyone else except your local dealers, since dealers are not allowed to ship anywhere outside their represented area/region. For that reason, TTVJ probably wouldn't ship to Singapore, unless you use vpost.