Sign in to follow this  
warsurferX

Opinions about line-outs for Ipod

Hi

After much reading and contemplation, I've decided to get a line-out dock for my Ipod. Apparently it's help improve the SQ by quite a bit. Will have to try it out, but before I make my purchase, I need some help with regards to this matter.

I found out that I can either purchase the dock by itself + interconnect OR should I just purchase one with the cable already connected to the dock. Which would be more advisable?

I would go for the dock to jack solution. It's a bit less flexible when it comes to using your amp with othher sources but the quality (especially when moving) will be better.

Which dock are you looking at? Apple's? If so then it's not very portable. For portable use get a dock with the cable already attached if possible. That way you reduce one connection to your amp.

The apple dock is better suited for home use you'll still need a cable (either mini to mini or mini to RCA - depending on your needs).

Also, I'm leaving this topic in the home forum because I suspect that you are talking about using your iPod at home and connecting it to an amplifier.

Anyone knows what's the big diff between all the various docks? e.g. Apple's, Belkin's and those by the Hifi makers like Denon, etc?

Regards

CK

Yes I would like to know too. A buddy of mine has ordered the blue dragon and when he brings it over I'll give you guys a heads-up. But that may take months LOL.

You can PM Qsilver on this forum. He DIYS ipod line outs and i haven't had any problems with the lineout and cables he has made for me. Great guy to talk to too! Tell him i recommended you. Probably cheaper that most in the market. =)

Newbie here, do not have any Apple product with a port...

So, is the port for the Ipod Nano, Mini, and orginal Ipod the same?

that is can the USB cable for nano fit onto the mini/Ipod

Can I custom make 1 port to jack or port to plug

and use it for ALL Ipods (except shuffle) ???

your other options would be, eg:

www.qables.com

www.aloaudio.com

www.apuresound.com (by AK[zip] on head-fi)

quite a lot of info in www.head-fi.org concerning these products

Newbie here, do not have any Apple product with a port...

So, is the port for the Ipod Nano, Mini, and orginal Ipod the same?

that is can the USB cable for nano fit onto the mini/Ipod

Can I custom make 1 port to jack or port to plug

and use it for ALL Ipods (except shuffle) ???

Yes, for now, all of apple's ipod series( except the shuffle, not too sure about the first few gens of Ipod) have the same port.

Yes, for now, all of apple's ipod series( except the shuffle, not too sure about the first few gens of Ipod) have the same port.

Thanks for the reply,

just got my 1st Apple product. Ipod Nano 1st gen.

so it's better to get an IC with the port and plug soldered together.

but how long should the cable be? short as possible?

What class of Ipod IC can get for $50?

Edited by Richy8

If u want to purchase them from Singapore, there are 2 places that are frequented : Jaben and Stereo Electronics. Of course there are the other cable shops but then again, let's keep it as simple as possible.

Jaben has got the dock-soldered ICs or u can buy the dock separately. The latter allows u to play around with all sorts of cables. Price wise, better for you to head down there and talk to him. You should bring your headphone along too so that you could head what kind of sound u like.

SE has got just the ICs and dock-soldered ICs.

I'd say that both shops have got good cables. Let your ears decide :)