Sign in to follow this  
clemo

Bench Tested: Denon AH-C700, Shure E3G, Shure E500-PTH, Ultimate Ears

Interesting read.

I'm not familiar the term bench test, but the frequency response of the SF5 EB was certainly a surprise. Never heard them myself, but enough reviews tell me that I probably couldn't take all that bass.

It's interesting how the reviewer shows measurements, but doesn't explicitly correlate them to his opinions of the sound actually heard. He doesn't describe the sounds like the reviews we find around forums. I wonder if the scores given are due to his actually hearing or just based on the graphs.

As an EB owner I'm happy to see that the little monsters are getting more appreciated. The thing I noted though is that the reviewer states that the EB's has a dynamic driver for highs vs the Pro fully balanced armature. The packaging of the EB's states that the EB have a balanced armature but says nothing about a dynamic driver. :huh:

actually, i believe it is the other way round - the dynamic driver for the bass range and a balanced armature for everything else. i recall, back when i was still actively reading up on the various iems, that this has been well-documented elsewhere on head-fi too.

and i reckon this could probably account for the price difference between the EB and the 5 Pro as well, but don't take my word for it.

Edited by rkivie

Hmmm, I think sound quality shouldn't just be based on graphs or specs. A earphone can have excellent bass and treble extension but the sound may not necessarily be musical nor engaging. Just my tots... =)

Music is about personal taste and preference. Specs are part of sound but not everything to a human. Still interesting read though.

The EB has a balance amature with a dynamic bass driver. Its cheaper to produce the dynamic then the balance amature with a huge price gap :P