dannyhgt

Is there such a thing as an audiophile player?

will like to enquire from the experts here whether there will be a substantial difference if I play from a line-out of a mp3 player or a headphone-out from it.

I'm no expert, but you should hear a difference if your encoded mp3 quality, earphones and amp are decent enough.

Heard from my friend that it will have a great difference 'cos it bypasses the internal amp of the mp3 player.

True.

But not many mp3 players have line-out right? hmm....

True. IIRC the older iRiver models have line-outs. You can also get line-out docks for the iPods.

Hmm, another interesting question is what if the DAP does not have the best sound quality like those from iAudio, iriver, etc, will an external amp help producing a better sound quality equivalent to those mentioned or it'll just simply give it a higher frequency?

If the DAP is terrible-sounding to start with, chances are, its internal amp sucks. A good amp will offer improvement then, if the DAP has a line-out for the amp.

Otherwise, amping it without a line-out means you're just amping the internal amp with the external one. If you're _really_ lucky, it might not sound bad =p

I finally got myself a 2nd hand Shure E5C. It seems this Cowan DAPl is highly recommended. Where can I get it? Is it good for classical music? Not looking for pop sounding devices. Please advise if there are any new toys in the market.

Edited by dannyhgt

Gd portable player u say? If u got $ go modify ur Ipod in to a Red wine Imod, Haha its a company in the states. It gonna b very costly to mod but many ppl on headfi say it can match players below 1K.