tassardar_

Brand new K701

hmm... what kind of input is available on the higher fidelity?

i didn't take a look at the back panel. but should be the usual RCA suspects.

K701 after 150 hrs of burn in. It has lost its brightness. Bass has become tighter. Sound has become fuller.

Just chance myself upon a fully burn in DT880 03 Edition. I have to say the biggest difference between the phones is the how the sound feels. DT880 feels like u are in a big room with the instrument/vocal nearer to u. While K701 is the opposite, It feels like u are in a smaller room but the instruments are furthur away from you. Currently I have to say the DT880 Sounds slightly better due to this effect.

Anyway my biggest surprise was that the K701 is way harder to drive then the DT880. Hehe now I will wait for next month to grab the sienheisser flagship hd650 and do a full comparison keke.

Edited by tassardar_

Maybe require more burn in and better synergy between amp and phone. Thats waht I see is the biggest problem with the K701. They require an amp of certain property to really bring it out.

K701 after 150 hrs of burn in. It has lost its brightness. Bass has become tighter. Sound has become fuller.

Just chance myself upon a fully burn in DT880 03 Edition. I have to say the biggest difference between the phones is the how the sound feels. DT880 feels like u are in a big room with the instrument/vocal nearer to u. While K701 is the opposite, It feels like u are in a smaller room but the instruments are furthur away from you. Currently I have to say the DT880 Sounds slightly better due to this effect.

Anyway my biggest surprise was that the K701 is way harder to drive then the DT880. Hehe now I will wait for next month to grab the sienheisser flagship hd650 and do a full comparison keke.

hmm... how do u know it's way harder to drive on k701? how does it sound when its hard to drive?

Having to crank up the volume knob to achieve the same volume or dynamic range is often one indication.

Edited by tbln

Volume usually isnt the biggest volume as even my Zen Vision has enough voltage to do it. Its more like the current and the amp property thats highly required. DT880 requires a lower volume to make it sound equally loud as the k701. k701 is pretty ineffecient as it is lol. It sounds great for fast paced music though compared to the dt880

It requires more volume then the dt880 which is one indication considering its resistance is only 64ohms compared to 250ohms. Secondly, if you run it out directly from a low power source like mp3 player, you can attain the volume but the phones sound abit cramped with all the music stuck together and bass being less tight. Compared to the dt880 or grado ms2i, they work pretty fine on mp3 players (yes dt880 can run off a mp3 player and sound decent still) but an amp will truely bring out their best no doubt.

gain aside, the amp must have the ability to drive the 701 without congestion, especially when u have to cope with the intense dynamic swings of full-scale classical or even the thumping midbass of dance & hip-hop.

After around 200+ hrs of burn-in.

K701 Soundstage is finally on par with the dt880 I had. Its wide and 3d. Its still very different as I have stated before. Give you the feeling you are in a big room watching a performance from far unlike dt880 which is a huge room but u standing near the performer. The treble is fantastic now and clarity is gettign better. Couldnt tell much change in bass though.

K701 Soundstage is finally on par with the dt880 I had. Its wide and 3d. Its still very different as I have stated before. Give you the feeling you are in a big room watching a performance from far unlike dt880 which is a huge room but u standing near the performer. The treble is fantastic now and clarity is gettign better. Couldnt tell much change in bass though.

Great, glad that you are enjoying the k701 and finally realize that the soundstage is not narrow at all :)) It really opens up after some burn-in.

wait till you hear it at 400+ hours.

Just got the stello hp100 amp from a fellow forumer lol. Fast trip down and deal was sealed in less then 1 hr.

The amp is really fantastic. Now my K701 bass is totally more tighter and way more impact then it was. It is also more detailed then before lol. There was this track that I was listening that the background has some instrument that I can only tell its roughly a guitar with the ath-ha20 and storm. With the stello it finally sound like a guitar being plucked. Totally fantastic lol. The amp really brought out the best the k701 has ever reached for me.