ting

Got my W1000

Hey guys, I got my W1000 already!

Friday night, at Hung brother, they got one studio type headphone amp which got 3 output with individual volumn control, so it very easy to tell the difference of W1000, DT880 and HD600. They also have the Naim headphone amp sound much better than the studio one. I pick up the W1000 because---

1) DT880 is not my cup of tea, it just too bright for me, I can't pay attention to rest part of the music. I did try to figure out why people like it, I think it's maybe the stage and the bass, I'm not sure, because the brightness kept me from listen properly.

2) HD 600 is good, very natural sound, but there is a curtain between you and the music, you will not notice it untill you transfer to W1000, the curtain was gone and the naturalness is still there. W1000 has all the good nature of HD600 with more open sound, some guy said the W1000 is a big leap to the AT design, sound more like a european design rather than japan, I agree. People take out the foam outside the driver and change the cable to make 600 sound open, I get all with W1000.

3) The bass of the W1000 is superb, K501 is tight but dry with no extension; W100 got the body but also not so deep and detail; HD600's famouse hump sounds not bad but you loose a bit resolusion... But with the W1000, that kind of tight deep full and detailed bass, is the best I ever heard, it just amazing!

4) This is a very detailed phone, I would say as good as er4p, you hear all staffs you never noticed before, but detail is not equal to bright treble and clinical sound here, it just shows every thing there for you enjoy, never get in the way of music.

So you all should know by now, I love this baby! headphone.gifw00t.giftongue.gif

It has been burned in for 20+ hours already.

Cheers

Edited by ting

When you mentioned "I would say as good as er4p, " & "detail is not equal to bright treble and clinical sound here," that got my attention!

Ting,

I hope you unplugged each headphone into the Naim as well before deciding. Anyway, if memory serves me right the AT-W1000 are very nice cans. I prefered the Sony CD-3000 though in the same price catogory of S$600 - S$650 (is that what you paid?).

The only "complaint" if could call it that, is a little lack of seperation between instruments on Chesky's track 7. However, the only headphone that betters it in that dept is the Grado RS-1 at nearly twice the price. So all in all it's a very good vale headphone.

What amp are you using to drive it at home?

N@Z, when I said "as good as er4p", I meant it, because er4p really shocked me on the detail department, all the other phones at that time can't compare (W100, K501, HD525, no need to mention small ones), and W1000 is as good (if not better), for example "sister drum xrcd" track 3 and 6, there are some very low level backgroun twittering other phones can here but not so clear.

Rameish, I did use Naim to try each one of them. Yes, that is the price tag I paied for it. Yesterday, I did listen the chesky with W1000, but since I don't have better phone to compare, I think it will be hard to understand an even better separation blink.gif , any way, I will try it tonight and pay more attention to the separation. I use Creek 11se and headphone jack of Cyrus 7 to drive my phones. tongue.gif

Edited by ting

CYRUS 7?!!! I am sooo jealous!

where can I get sony cd3000 in spore?

N@Z, I bought the cyrus7 for S$999 few month ago just before cyrus8 came out, using it with dynaudio 42, sounds nice. But my cd player is not up to the same standard which is a Harman Kardon HD7625, an old player I bought very cheap last year when they clear stock, it was 600+ pound at it's own time 6 to 7 years ago. I'm considering change it later. laugh.gif

The W1000 keep changing while running in, last night it sound harsh and nervous after whole day of running in, I remember my W100 has same kind of period, after that, every thing become settle down. Now it playing radio at home, I'll see how tonight. headphone.gif

Ting,

The AT W-1000 are very nice cans. They are keepers. Try track 7 on the Chesky (Maiden Voyage by Leny Andrade).

Like I've said so many times before - every headphone and amp is an art of compromise (yes even the Grados ;-). It's the music that matters.

As for the Creek - it's a nice amp (do you have the B-version or the A serial number version). However it's also the obvious weak link.

I would discribe the AT as quite detailed and warm. The Creek is also a warm amp. I don't know your source so it's difficult to comment but I think the set up should be quite good as it is. Someday when you have the time come by and we'll do a comparison with the Corda HA-1 and HA-2. Just to compare mind you. Please don't forget I'm still a hi-fi nut LOL who happens to bring in the Corda.

Gryphon1972, you can refer to my previous post "Ready for W1000".

Rameish, my 11se is a B version. Thanks for inviting me, we will fix a time after the W1000 fully ran in.

Cheers headphone.gif