Sign in to follow this  
rkivie

Grado Flat Pads

:b2t

The flats on the RS-1 reduce treble energy but also muddy the sound at the same time. You lose some of the clarity and speed the RS-1 are known for. Bass takes a big, woolly leap forward.

Some like this warmish cloud of sound, but its back to bowls for me. :grin:

Edited by tbln

Revisiting the flats on RS1/MS-Pro

Two years ago out of curiosity I bought the TTVJ flats to try with the RS1/MS-Pro, I found them to sound muddy and too much midbass hump. I immediately swapped back to bowls and never look back.

But recently I tried the flats again and hooked. I was surprised. With zana deux (sorry), added body and warmth, not muddy, bass is nicely controlled and works like added "depth", not "warmish cloud of sound" that I experienced with other amps. Going from flats -> bowls, the RS1/MS-Pro sounded thin and too much treble for me. However, I won't recommend the use of flats to pair with dark and/or warmer sounding amp.

Bought a second pair of flats from fellow mod and hoping never look back. :grin:

i tried the flats on my ms2. the sound became kinda muddy, and more importantly it didnt improve the comfort level.

got a pair of senn hd414 pads yesterday. theyre extremely comfortable compared to the stock pads and flats. but they do sound kinda muddy and veiled, so i am thinking about cutting out a hole in the middle. but not too big so the good comfor level stays.