Sign in to follow this  
Stratuskyo

Audio Technica ATH-ES7

hey guys.. looking for good looks headphones.. but also good quality ones.. is ATH-ES7 recommended?? got others to recommend?? listening to mostly chinese pop songs.. english ones too.. whr to get cheapest?? thanks!!

hmm... more info is needed before we can give out advice:

budget - ES7 costs about $200... is that the max/min of what you wanna pay?

usage - is it for use at home? or when you go out? do you need it to block out sound? do you plan to use an headphone amplifier?

you said u want good looking phones. well... ES7 is a good choice if you like the shiny-shiny. but taste is a very subjective thing :)

As for where to go, Stereo Electronics at Causeway Point and Jaben at Adelphi are the 2 best places to go, try and buy headphones.

oh... hmm.. $200 is probably the max i will go.. dun think i'll be using a headphone amp.. erm..mostly outdoor use... no preference in terms of blocking out sound.. i know looks are subjective.. maybe u guys can post some u think looks great and fits into my budget??

I think it's much easier to drop by a headphone store to check it out, anyway you might want to look at the real thing, some headphones on the net look so good but in real life.... :rolleyes:

ATH-ES7 is a cool looking headphone if you don't mind leaving fingerprints on the chrome part, soundwise it's not a bassy headphone if you're more of a basshead and that's all I can say.

You'll want something to block out noise if you're using it outdoors. This should be non-negotiable, IMO. The alternative is to blast the volume and lose your hearing earlier than you normally would.

As for looks, it's completely too subjective. Try the Senn HD280, looks like it's built to last and can take a lot of crap.

There's the Panasonic HTX7, looks retro with its colours and big cups, but sound isn't too good, IMHO.

Personally i don't like the K81DJs, firstly everytime i put it on, it just feels like something is clamping on my head. And it have bad details. Es-7 have a very fun sounding but the bass isn't that strong.

oh alright. Thanks. I don't like too much bass anyways. It will sacrifice some of the mids and highs.

So i'll probably go for the ES7 for a closed can. These costs pretty expensive. But it looks really nice

hmm... guess i should defend the K81s a bit.

Clamp force can be lessened with judicious stretching. Properly broken in, i'd say my K81s are fairly comfy. Also, i *never* have to worry about them falling off :)

Details comes with 1) removing the centre foams in the earcups, 2) running in. If all you've heard is a fresh-from-box unit, then yes, you'd think that K81 lacks details.

A500 is warmer sounding, and for some who find the ES7 bass a little lean, the A500 might be just nice.

how bout if i use a DAC, would the sound of es7 improve alot? intending to listen mostly through my pc using audigy2zs, but would getting a DAC or headphone amp be better?

What do you want to hear from the ES7 that it doesn't have?

Adding a "good" quality DAC will improve the sound but if the improvement isn't what you wanted then looking into what you want from the ES7 might help.

What do you want to hear from the ES7 that it doesn't have?

Adding a "good" quality DAC will improve the sound but if the improvement isn't what you wanted then looking into what you want from the ES7 might help.

today tried the es7 n ath-a500 at jaben, find that both the sounds to be on the warm side, also tried many other headphones esp more of the beyerdynamic ones since mostly these were on the display, generally felt that the Open cans sound were more to my liking that the Closed ones, the sounds were more neutral and not as warm, also like the valour-paddings headphones than those with the pleather types, however in the end didnt buy anything yet, becoz i felt havent tried all the popular ones yet, esp the ms1 havent tried at the shop becoz it was out of stock, but quite liked the beyerdynamic dt231, quite clear sounds with good bass too, strangely when hear the display set which was the older model of dt231 which sounded very good, but then when hear the newer model dt231-galaxy from a newly opened box it didnt sound as good, didnt know that the burn-in sound could be so diffferent....so considering wat to get, will decide until i try the ms1 first....