Sign in to follow this  
Peddler

I love my Ety's

agree.. they're good.

I am thinking of getting them next year when I've saved enough money.

Now got a bit of financial problem here ahha biggrin.gif

How is their soundstage?

I was looking at these. I haven’t heard them though.

The thing I don't like about headphones as compared to loudspeakers is that the music is beside you rather than in front of you. Are there any headphones that sound more like the music is in front? Also considering the Grado RS-2's

Welcome all your feedback!

Etys are good but I do wish they'll fix the cord - I can't bear walking around with the noise generated from the cord rubbing against my clothing. On Head-Fi, I think I remember reading that Etymotics were going to offer a new cord to fix the problem ?

Tenson, AKG K1000. They are more ear speakers rather than headphones but this is what you are looking for ultimately.

Etys are more about detail & neutral sound. Like you mentioned, it has headstage rather than soundstage but the sound plugs you directly into the music, "immersing" you or placing you right up front or in the music itself.

If you're still unsure open a new topic as I don't think this was discussed in great depth before. So that this thread won't go OT.

The thing I don't like about headphones as compared to loudspeakers is that the music is beside you rather than in front of you. Are there any headphones that sound more like the music is in front? Also considering the Grado RS-2's

Welcome all your feedback!

U ain't comparing apples with apples by pitting cans with speakers. However, do not despair if U find all cans present a L-R soundstage instead of frontal aka speakers. An outboard X-feed or head amps with crossfeed circuitry eg Corda HA-1/HA-2 will give the effect U desire.

Please do a search on this forum for "X-feed" as a thread was recent raised for discussion. happy.gif

Edited by Mackie

yeap... but it's totally different.. headphone and speaker..

both different purpose

headphone is meant to be more 'personal', intimate, especially so with the etys..

because they're so near your ear drum... all the vocals.. instruments sound.. like they're meant only and I meanONLY for you tongue.gif

on a side note, yeah .. x-feed does correct that L-R thing a little.. but still can never have that speaker kind of front placement..

apples and oranges laugh.giflaugh.gif

both different purpose

In this respect I disagree with you Blues Guy,

In my understanding they are both of the same to a singular objective. yes.gif

Which is enjoying reproduced (recorded) music!

Please don't get me wrong, I know you can't get the same from a headphone as you can a speaker, or vice versa. All I wanted was ones that sunds as much like a real soundstage rather than inside the music laugh.gif

Thanx for the info on X-Feed i'll look into it.

Tenson, IMHO nobody is right or wrong when it comes to reproduction of recorded music (audio) and video, very thin subjective line mellow.gif

regards

mat

Any chance someone could explain too me exactly what X-feed does? I have looked at the 'X-Feed' topic but I got to the end of page 2 and couldn't go on reading tongue.gif

If I used this maybe I would be happy with something like the RS-1 or 2 or HD600, Beyer880. I'll go take a trip to London and have a listen. What amps did you say have this X-Feed built in so I can ask to listen to one?

*EDIT* Look what headroom said '.....AKG claims that this is because the open design allows acoustic crossfeed to naturally reach the opposite ear.'

Edited by Tenson

X-feed is a DIY product built by a Head-Fi member called Pink Floyd. On that same thread you mentioned should have the link to his website. He's from the UK by the way. The beauty of X-feed is you can hook it up on your present equipment & can remove it at any time you like.

Presently only 2 consumer brands carry crossfeed built in their headphone amps (correct me if I am wrong) Headroom & Meier-audio. Sadly both are not available off the shelf. I've only tried their portables so I can't really give an informed impression. As it is I prefer Meier-audio's crossfeed (on the PortaCorda II) as it sounds more natural & the tonal character is affected to a lesser degree (compared with the Airhead/Total Airhead head amps). The effect of crossfeed here is subtle but very noticeable.

Getting back on track, the etys I feel are great in the sense that thay don't add or take away anything from the music.

both different purpose

In this respect I disagree with you Blues Guy,

In my understanding they are both of the same to a singular objective. yes.gif

Which is enjoying reproduced (recorded) music!

yeap .both same.. reproducing music..

but the way they present the music itself.. is different

it's like having someone to present chicken bbq and chicken in the hot soup. Which do you prefer?

For me, I like both, and definately one can never be a substitute for another.

That's using an analogy.