wdEvA

Headphones vs IEM

refering to the topic on clear, bassy and comfortable headphones, i'd recommend i-grados, well within ur budget, the only thing is that it is open. If u're decided on isolated ones, then go for the mylar xb

Hmm... Headphones Vs IEMS...

I started off with using earbuds, then IEMS (tried a few) and am using headphones now in my portable rig.

Earbuds and IEMs are low profile, take up only very little space in the bag or can even just put them in the pocket! You also get pretty good isolation with IEMs. However, removing can be a hassle-can't just yank it out, ouch! but i disgress.

Despite all these pros, i switched over to a headphone.

Comparing the Shure E4 and Etymotic ER4s to the Sennheiser HD25, the SQ of the latter is so far ahead.

Pricewise, in Singapore, the retail of the Shure is in the lower regions of $400-$500 while the Etymotics is in the upper regions. The HD25 is a fair bit less than $400.

Isolation wise in the train , the HD25 is quite OK. Keeping to normal listening levels that i use at home, vocals still come through OK though some of the bass is lost. But then, comparatively, IEMs only isolate slightly better. Factoring in the SQ differences of both and i would say they are comparable for use in a noisy environment.But if you boost the volume, then the odds will be tilted towards the HD25.

I also use a portable rig in less noisy places like in the library. That is when the HD25 is so much better than the E4 or ER4. Really immerse myself in the music. No rolled-off treble or bass. The sound is just natural.

Of course, the cons of a headphone are that it takes up more space in the bag, though i don't see that as much of a problem if one carries a Crumpler ;). Your hair-do may be messed up by the head-band, well, bring a comb around! Not as low profile as an IEM when worn- you will get used to this psychological barrier :P

Edited by david watt

is a balance of portability vs sound quality. Price is also a major consideration.

I want better sound quality but do not want to get an iem above the Shure E4 or Etymotic ER4 due to price considerations. The next step up would be near to double in price. The compromise would be to get headphones.

The HD25 is supra aural. It rests on the ear. Thus the ear-cup is not too big. It is also fairly minimalist in the design as it is meant for functional use, not as a fashion statement.

I like that it is modular in design so that any part of it is easily replaceable.