Sign in to follow this  
loop_

any way to unscratch anodized aluminium surfaces?

Hi,

Am currently sorting out my casing for the beta22 im building. Was drilling holes when I stupidly pressed the back panel against the newspaper, and all the metal shavings started scratching it.

So now it looks very very beat up... :cry:

IPB Image

Any ideas on how to unscratch/heal/hide those damn blemishes? Am very open to 'creative' ideas.

thanks in advance

thats abit impossible now. black dye are sort of fused into the aluminium and followed by artificial anodising, creation of the thin but dense layer of protective aluminium oxide...

i tried colouring with a permanent marker and then cleaned off the access...

Hi,

Am currently sorting out my casing for the beta22 im building. Was drilling holes when I stupidly pressed the back panel against the newspaper, and all the metal shavings started scratching it.

So now it looks very very beat up... :cry:

Any ideas on how to unscratch/heal/hide those damn blemishes? Am very open to 'creative' ideas.

thanks in advance

Sadly, been there, done that. The only way I can see, is to sandpaper the metal until very smooth and then spray paint. I thought I could cover up the small nicks with spray paint but it didn't. Need to smoothen before spray.

I usually put a layer of masking tape when drill but the metal chips also cut right through that. DIY is a series of expensive lessons. Every time someone says to me that looks good, they don't know how much I had to pay for tuition. :no:

next time i'm just going to a shop and ask them to drill everything for me...basket...

anyway i decided to just follow fuzzy and draw with permanent marker..now instead of silver lines i have black ones. ugly but abit less ugly la.. :P

I think I might be able to help you with this.

Firstly what I was thinking is to remove the paint or sand it out. Later airbrush it with some metallic paints and buff it until you get the brushed metal look. I have done this with my Gundam kits before and it looks quite good. Problem is I don't have any experience with airbrushing on metal. Might have to airbrush on some metal primer first or else the paint won't stick.

There is another solution - which I am thinking of trying for the Mini3 panels. Have a plastic one which goes infront of the metal panel. It is stuck on with glue. This is done by the plaque people.

hey thanks for all the tips and aegis for your offer.

But I just took the lazy man's solution. A bit childish i.e. don't like what you see just use magic marker.

IPB Image

IPB Image

at the end of the day, it's just a back panel la, cannot be too sad. Maybe I'll try sanding/painting it if I ever choose to sell it. Basket this project taking so long with parts missing here and there don't even know if it'll run or explode...

Edited by loop_