ezzo

Headphone geared towards today's popular music

Hi,

I looking for a headphone for listening to music genres like Hip-Hop, R&B, Rap, Electronic.

I am willing to spend up to $400, does not matter if they are closed or open phones.

Bass is a big factor for me, it got to have good quality, punchy bass but I'm def not a "basshead".

I do like to blast my headphones once in a while too, Sr60 sure dont serve that purpose well - it gets too bright.

Well, a all-rounder, audiophile standard headphone is def preferred too, considering the price I'm paying :D

I only have a Grado SR60 with bowls currently.

For amps, I have a mini^3 now and CKK3 coming up.

Current contender(s):

Denon D2000

Beyers DT990 (2005/Pro?)

EDIT: Or Senns HD580?

All suggestions and comments are welcomed!! :D

Edited by ezzo

Closed? I can think of the Audio Technica A500/700.

No swivel cups though, and they're huge, so it'll probably be big enough for your head. I believe they are available for testing at SE. They are relatively easy to drive as well.

Closed? I can think of the Audio Technica A500/700.

No swivel cups though, and they're huge, so it'll probably be big enough for your head. I believe they are available for testing at SE. They are relatively easy to drive as well.

Haha. I dont exactly have a *big* head actually, well. Haha. Whats the price of AT A700? Yea. Gotta hear them out.

Anyw, impedance isnt much of a concern for me since I hav a headphone amp for it.

Edited by ezzo

Haha. I dont exactly have a head actually, well. Haha. Whats the price of AT A700? Yea. Gotta hear them out.

Anyw, impedance isnt much of a concern for me since I hav a headphone amp for it.

Hmm. Alien species? :blink:

I actually based it on the fact that you said that the K81DJ was a bit too small for your head.

The A700 is definitely less than $200. PM SE for more info though.

Hmm. Alien species? :blink:

I actually based it on the fact that you said that the K81DJ was a bit too small for your head.

The A700 is definitely less than $200. PM SE for more info though.

LOL. Haha. Left the *big* out.

K81DJ is too bassy IMO.

I have read reviews on A700, seems good.

Have you heard Sony V6? Its around the same price range.

Have never tried the Sony V6, though I heard it is a monitoring headphone.

Actually, I have never heard the A700 either, only the bigger brother, the A900. A word of warning - the closed headphones do make your ears get a bit warm after a while, especially in Singapore's warm climate. I doubt you'll want to use this as a portable headphone, given how it looks. (people would be staring :P)

Here are some reviews on the A900. ($200+, I think).

http://headphonereviews.org/headphone.php?...w&headphoneId=1

Yea, I went to read several reviews on both A700 and A900, it looks like they are quite close in each other in terms of SQ. And I think its exceeding my budget too. The AXXX series are huge man, comfy yea?

How does ATH-ES7 compare to A900? Dudes at Head-fi seem to love it, maybe partially for the looks. Haha.

The AXXX series is rather comfy, at least to me, although as I have said earlier on, they do make your ears feel warm after some time.

Never tried the ES7 before, though it looks like a better choice if you are using it for portable listening. Real good looker though. :D

Tell you what, you may want to go down to SE or Jaben to try out a few headphones. Ask (uncle? :P) Aron / uncle Wilson for advice as well. I remember that there are a few Sennheiser models in the price range, though their names escape me.

I checked, SE doesnt have either the ES7/A700 for auditioning.

Reviews are that Grado's are too bright and lean on the bass for such genres and blasting, which I IMO think so too.

Most Sens are too laid back, HD 25-1 seems great thou.

AKG's 501 -701 are lean on bass too.

Beyers are rather bassheads, I have heard a few models personally.

OH MAN, I NEED ADVISEEEE....

Hmm, you never know till you try, as in for the Senns and the AKGs (based on what you said, I don't think you have heard them).

The AKGs require a decent amp. If you do have one, they'll probably be good. You could stop by Jaben to try them (I saw a K601 in a cardboard box in the open). I could probably give you a good deal, in my opinion, on my K601 (haha, possible chance for upgrade for me). :P

Remember though, the AKGs are open headphones. Is there any reason why you'd rather closed headphones?

I checked, SE doesnt have either the ES7/A700 for auditioning.

Reviews are that Grado's are too bright and lean on the bass for such genres and blasting, which I IMO think so too.

Most Sens are too laid back, HD 25-1 seems great thou.

AKG's 501 -701 are lean on bass too.

Beyers are rather bassheads, I have heard a few models personally.

OH MAN, I NEED ADVISEEEE....

ezzo: Please be understanding that I don't work 24/7 a week and therefore sometimes I simply cannot/choose not to reply a PM within 24hrs. Being sarcastic in my PM will not get you anywhere.

Sorry for the OT. :b2t

ezzo: Please be understanding that I don't work 24/7 a week and therefore sometimes I simply cannot/choose not to reply a PM within 24hrs. Being sarcastic in my PM will not get you anywhere.

Sorry for the OT. :b2t

LOL.

Let me tell you, I am NOT trying to get anywhere.

Look at you. You call this friendly service?

Must be kidding me. Are you trying to jack me in public?

I wouldnt even bother msg-ing you the second time if I didnt think you was friendly.

You sure you run a shop too? And expect me to purchase from you the next time by doing so?

Everyone judge for yourselves.

Disappointment.

Hmm, you never know till you try, as in for the Senns and the AKGs (based on what you said, I don't think you have heard them).

The AKGs require a decent amp. If you do have one, they'll probably be good. You could stop by Jaben to try them (I saw a K601 in a cardboard box in the open). I could probably give you a good deal, in my opinion, on my K601 (haha, possible chance for upgrade for me). :P

Remember though, the AKGs are open headphones. Is there any reason why you'd rather closed headphones?

Yea, true. I have not heard them myself. Those are based on several reviews I have read from head-fi. But most of them(top range), dont seem to be recommended for music genres like Hip-Hop/ Rap/ R&B?

I have a open headphone now, and I will always hear something from the surroundings(at home), such as the fan, talking or others. So Im looking for a closed phone that have at least some isolation, and portability will be a plus for me too. Anyway, I have a CKK3 amp coming up, it should be rather decent.

Hey chill.

As for top-range headphones not being suited for the above mentioned genres, I think you missed out the L3000. :P

The Beyer DT150 is another possible choice (one of Uncle Wilson's favored headphones), but it's a monitoring headphone, so you may dislike the sound signature.

There not much more reading up can do to help you. It'll be best if you go down to a headphone shop and do some listening.